Laisa Toscane Vorbarra
|Name:||Laisa Toscane Vorbarra|
|Relationships:||Gregor Vorbarra (husband), Duv Galeni (ex-boyfriend)|
|Other:||Laisa on the Vorkosigan Wiki|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Laisa Toscane Vorbarra is a secondary character in the Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold. She is a PhD-educated Komarran heiress – one of those Toscanes – who ditches fellow Komarran Duv Galeni to marry Gregor Vorbarra and become the Empress of Barrayar. A plump & petite beauty, she is the antithesis of the tall, slender Vor women that Alys Vorpatril has aimed at Gregor.
The introduction of the Gregor/Laisa pairing in Memory was well received, and pre-dates the popularity of slash pairings involving Gregor (mainly Miles/Gregor). The relationship is well liked and generates some fannish activity, but overall Laisa is not a particularly frequent character in fanworks. Laisa-centric fanfiction often deals with her relationship with Gregor, and her adjustment to the role of empress, as well as to life on Barrayar, for example describing her first meeting with Barrayaran characters.
Although she has a backstory with Duv Galeni, it is rarely addressed in fanworks. She is only rarely paired with him or any character other than Gregor; little or no femslash exists. Little if any fanfiction explores her childhood on Komarr.
- Venture Capital by Altariel. Laisa meets Mark Vorkosigan (2006)
- Fairy Dust by Jedishampoo. Gregor/Laisa gapfiller (2006)
- The Proposal by Josan. Gregor/Laisa first time (2006)
- Shorten the Distance by Lightgetsin. Laisa meets Cordelia Vorkosigan & Alys Vorpatril (2007)
- Three Men Who Never Left Barrayar by Gisho. Laisa & Gregor, in a brief AU where he leaves Barrayar (2008)
- We All Want to Change the World by Tel. An alternative Laisa from the Tides of Stars AU verse; novella (2009)
- The Unarmed Truth by Avanti_90. Laisa meets Aral Vorkosigan and confronts the Solstice Massacre issue (2010)
- On your right stands the queen in garments of gold by Philomytha. Alys's perspective on Empress Laisa (2010)
- Imperial Bedrooms by hedda62. Gregor/Laisa in the early days of their marriage (2011)
- From the Old to the New by Avanti_90. A rare AU in which Laisa marries Duv Galeni and stays on Komarr (2014)
- Citadel by Mayachain. Character study vignette (2014)
- See the Gregor/Laisa article for more examples of that pairing
- Gregor and Laisa by KickAir8P. Gregor/Laisa; full-length portraits; digital art (2009)
- If Laisa Toscane possessed more brains than beauty, she had to be some kind of genius. Yet the exact source of her intense physical impression was elusive. by Heckofabecca. Half-length portrait (2015)
- Gregor and Laisa - interrupted kisses by AmiMercredire. A rare example of explicit art for the pairing; digital art (2015)
- Laisa Toscane of those Toscanes. by Heckofabecca. Pencil portrait (2016)