|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Keepers (also sometimes referred to as "Guardians") are fans who adopt something from a show as a favorite line or scene, and add that item to their sig or to their fannish identity is some way. This fan activity began in The X-Files fandom.
Other fandom's had keepers as well. Another example is The Sentinel.
The Sentinel: About
Note: The Keepership-pages were originally maintained by Sphinx. Since Sphinx is not longer in the fandom, she passed over the responsibility for the pages.
Thank you Sphinx for such a nice idea.
Please read these rules BEFORE requesting any item related to Jim and/or Blair!!
I'm sure most of you are familiar with keeping, but for those who don't know -- being a Keeper means that you look after the requested item. It does *not* mean you own it! Jim and Blair are the only ones who truly own the items. These keeper lists exist to show our love of the show and its characters, so please be civil to other fans/keepers.
Rules for the Jim and Blair Keeper Lists:
The rules are simple and straight-forward:
1) Please check the character list to see whether or not what you're requesting is already being kept *before* emailing me. You can comfortably use the search function in your browser to search for keywords. I'm often getting keeper requests for items that are already kept and to be honest; I'm getting tired of it. This will save me (and you) a lot of time. I will update the lists every couple of days (or as time permits).
2) The maximum number of items you can request over both keeper lists is THREE! Otherwise there will be nothing left for anyone else! There are no restrictions as to which character the three are for (only Jim; only Blair; or both).
3) Items will be assigned on a "first come, first served" basis. I'll probably rely on the time stamps on the emails - so get in fast!
4) Keepership of Jim or Blair themselves, their body parts, their hearts, family, friends, ex-girlfriends, pets..etc..is NOT allowed. The body parts belong to the actors themselves so though we'd all like to claim them we can't! That goes for Jim's Sentinel abilities too - they are NOT up for Keepership. Stick to items/situations/feelings..etc..
5) You cannot claim anything that hasn't appeared in the episodes. (Sorry slashers!) It also means that you cannot claim anything you've *heard* will appear on The Sentinel. The episodes must have aired.
Once your request has been acknowledged, granted and added to the respective Keeper list, you will receive a Certificate of Keepership jpeg (45 K) via email. If your mail system cannot support attachments of a jpeg nature, please tell me in your initial Keeper Request and we'll work something out. Many thanks to Nancy Reed for the idea and to Laura (Mrs. Fish) for the words! :)
Keepership Pics for your Webpage:You also have the option of having an "Official Keeper" pic (there are separate ones for Jim and Blair) to put on your webpage. I only ask that you link the pic back to this page. Please tell me in your email request if you would like to be sent the webpage pic/s along with the keepership certificates. Thanks to Laura (Mrs. Fish) for the idea and the pics! :) 
- Starfox's Mansion - Blair Keepers, Archived version
- Starfox's Mansion - Jim Keepersl, Archived version
- The Forest's Sentinel Pictures, Archived version
Fans were allowed to be a keeper of up to four items at a time.
There appears to have been variations of "keeper." From a fan's sig in 1997: "*Guardian of the Shorts *~GBLA *Sacred Guardian of the Scully Diary *~APSSIM PWNUSTIEEXF *Keeper of the Hairband *~SAB *Guardian of the UST *~DBDS *Protector of Pusher *~Scullyists Association" 
A lot of people have posted on the X-Files MB asking "What is a Keeper?" Well, Keepership is about Virtual Ownership. Let's say you really loved the episode Tunguska, especially the way Mulder kept beating on Krycek. So you think to yourself, "I just loved the way Mulder beat on that rat b*stard, Krycek, throughout the episode. I wish there was some way to express that every time I post on the MB without being a pest about it or getting really effusive." A Keepership allows you to do just that. If you become a Keeper, you can add to your signature: "Keeper of ......" I'm sure you've seen lines of text following someone's sig that read something like, "Keeper of: Mulder's cell phone, Scully's tattoo and Krycek's sexy gaze." Or "Keeper of Mulder & Scully's silent exchanges" or "Skinner's Surliness." It's that simple, and yet it conveys so much. It tells everyone just what you love about the X-Files or its characters; it tells something about you - your personality or your sense of humor; and lastly it shows your pride in being connected to the show, if only virtually. Anyone can be a Keeper - Keeperships transcend gender or race, religion or nationality. In fact, JellyMulder and I, amokeh, are the perfect example of how disparate two Keepers can be: JellyMulder is a teenager from England and an intellifinishipper while I am a 30-something American, devoted Wench to the SPG and a Noromo. Cool, huh? So it doesn't matter what your background is. Keeperships are for everyone. 
- THE LIST, Archived version
- Mulder's List, Archived version
- Scully's List, Archived version
- Mulder & Scully's List, Archived version
- Skinner's List, Archived version
- Doggett's List, Archived version
- Reyes' List, Archived version
- Krycek's List, Archived version
- Lone Gunmen List, Archived version
- Other Characters List, Archived version
- Quotes/Phrases/Scenes, Archived version
Buffy the Vampire SlayerBuffyKeepers were a Yahoo group designed to coordinate activities among keepers of Buffy websites. The group had a linked webpage on Geocities. The group had only 23 members as of 2013.
The keeper index for BTVS was kept by Archangel.
- "Keeper of David's black silk boxers (I wish)", from a fan's extensive sig. -- NEW - Forgotten Memories (1/11) by BJay, Mistress of Intrigue, November 24, 1996
- Starfox's Mansion - Starfox's Rules on Keeping, Archived version
- Fox'Chick Keeper of Mulder's Luscious Ass
- FAVOURITE X-FILES: Why ‘Jose Chung’ sends me into outer space, Archived version
- Teaser: One For Sorrow, August 2, 1997
- from roughly 2001: keeper home page, Archived version