|Pairing:||Hinata Shouyo/Kageyama Tobio|
|Alternative name(s):||KageHina, Hinata/Kageyama, KGHN|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Hinata Shouyo is the protagonist of Haikyuu who loves volleyball. In Junior High he plays against Kageyama Tobio, a "genius" volleyball player, and loses. After the tournament, Kageyama asks Hinata what he has been doing for the past three years, which pushes Hinata to decide they are rivals and keep practicing volleyball nonstop to beat him in high school.
Upon entering Karasuno High School, Hinata meets Kageyama again, who is also attending Karasuno and has joined the team. Both are passionate about volleyball, but Hinata's skills are lacking and Kageyama has had issues when working with others. Kageyama and Hinata's jersey numbers are 9 and 10, respectively.
The team quickly realizes that despite their opposite personalities and constant fighting, Hinata and Kageyama can perform amazing combination attacks. The two eventually learn to cooperate with one another, and form a very powerful weapon against other teams, performing their signature quick attack.
Hinata is the oldest first year on the team, whilst Kageyama is the youngest. Their birthdays are a contrast to each other, Hinata's birthday being the 06/21, the longest day of the year, and Kageyama's being the 12/22, the shortest day of the year. When their first names are combined (Shōyō + Tobio) you get “hishou” which means “to fly.”
Kagehina is one of the most popular ships in Haikyuu. Kagehina was number twenty as one of the Top 20 ships "most reblogged" in 2016 on Tumblr. As of 2020, there are over 9000 works on AO3, and is the second most tagged ship in the fandom following Iwaoi. It is the most popular ship for both Hinata and Kageyama.
KageHina is the most popular ship of Haikyuu!!, being loved by fans since the beginning of the manga. When the anime was released in 2014, the ship really started to take off with fans producing countless art and writing pieces for them. It's shipped by the majority of the fandom, however, some prefer them as friends over them being in a romantic relationship. It's regarded as a healthy ship and there hasn't been any controversy surrounding it.
In the HQ fandom "canon" is not used in the traditional sense. A ship is considered canon due to their close relationships in canon. Kagehina is considered as such because of their setter/spiker relationship and the focus on them growing closer as teammate and friends.
Common Tropes & Fanon
- Future Fic: Fanworks often explore the characters after high school. Kageyama is often a professional volleyball player in these works.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: Kageyama impressive height and Hinata's small stature are notable in canon, mostly due to the natural advantage it gives Kageyama in volleyball. Hinata envies Kageyama's height, but in fan works their size difference is often played on for fluff and romance.
- Soulmates: Kageyama and Hinata are often depicted as soulmates. This trope became more popular after the events of Chapter 387 of the manga, in which Kageyama Kazuyo promises his grandson that if he continues to play volleyball, "someone even better" will come and find him. This "someone" is widely regarded as Hinata, and the events of Chapter 387 are often expanded upon in fic to develop both Kageyama's character growth and the Kagehina ship.
In art and writing, they are both usually oblivious to each other's feelings. In many cases, they try to suppress these feelings as well, leading them to fight or distance themselves from the other one. Often other Karasuno members or family members start to push them to make a move or have to give them very obvious hints that they are crushing on each other. There's generally a lot of angst in fanfiction with this ship, even though the ship itself is drawn and talked about as a very active, joyful and "soft" ship. After a timeskip reveal in the manga, fans also often explore the long-distance aspect of their relationship, as well as their rivalry and partnership in the international volleyball leagues (including the Olympics).
Their rivalry plays an important part of their relationship in canon, and they are widely considered each other's "Greatest Challenger." As such, fics often explore how they make each other both better people and better volleyball players, often utilizing parallels between the beginning of their relationship in middle school and its depiction in adulthood by the series' end. They are often depicted in art as chasing after one another, both literally through their ongoing count of wins and losses (revealed in Chapter 401 to be 1,096 wins and 1,100 losses for Hinata) and metaphorically through their larger shared desire to become the best volleyball players they can. This shared goal also makes them effective partners, and thus fans also explore their ability to understand one another, often nonverbally, both on and off the court.
- I like the way your clothes smell by Mysecretfanmoments
- Deadly by majesticartax
- steeped in burning flowers by onecentpipit
- tobio lays an egg by pittoo
- The Crown and the Crow by Yuu_chi
- heart lines by mysterytwin
Fanart & Fancomics
Unequivocal by severalsmallbeans