|Also Known As:||J*hn *rd*v*r at P*ck*t B**ks, and variations thereof|
|On Fanlore:||Related pages|
On alt.tv.x-files.creative, this developed into a long-running series of flamewars, known as the Ordover Wars . For many participants, this constituted their first flamewar, their first encounter with a professional editor, and possibly their first direct exposure to disapproval of fanfic as not worthwhile. Ordover managed to sockpuppet himself (perhaps unintentionally, signing in from different accounts at work vs. at home), and generally caused ire and fannish solidarity, and despite its flameyness many old X-Philes recall the Ordover Wars with great fondness.
He did the same on alt.startrek.creative, where he also trumpeted his plan to get fans to write 'real', published work, by publishing an anthology of Star Trek short fiction. Several ASC fans were, in fact, published in the resultant anthology, Strange New Worlds.
Many fans on the USENET sites refused to use his given name, referring to him as "O," or "the man they dare not say his name," or "J*hn *rd*v*r at P*ck*t B**ks." This was done in attempts to keep Ordover from coming to the discussion groups, as many fans believed he searched his name and showed up after his name was mentioned on the list.  
"Clothing Optional", and a Prankster
Mr. Ordover is no stranger to controversy, or to media attention, and likes to stir things up. 
Ordover is the founder of "Clothing Optional Dinners," which was a monthly gathering of nudists or naturists at various restaurants around Manhattan, New York.  He was also an organizer for nude dinner cruises. 
- Ordover was an attendee at SFWA New Yorker Reception, photos, November 2000
- The Woodwards. The Ordover Files, 01 January 1999. (Accessed 30 October 2010)
- "shhhhh! When you mention his name, he has a way of just turning up." -- ASC, 2000
- An example of other creative fannish spelling for the similar reasons are those for Will Shetterly.
- Please Don’t Marry Our Daughters; archive link, by Brad Stone, September 11, 2007
- Naked Dining in Manhattan, August 13, 2005
- CODINNERS - Clothing-Optional Dinners - No hot soup..., 2007, accessed March 15, 2017