|Occupation:||General of the First Order|
|Relationships:||Brendol Hux (Father)|
|Fandom:||Star Wars, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, |
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
|Other:||Portrayed by Domhnall Gleeson|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
General Hux is one of the main antagonists in the sequel trilogy. He appears in The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker. He is portrayed by Irish actor, Domhnall Gleeson
In The Force Awakens, General Hux takes orders directly from the Supreme Leader Snoke. Hux orders the firing of the weapon on Starkiller Base, with Snoke's approval, destroying five planets in the Hosnian system that are loyal to the Republic. Before Hux could similarly destroy the main Resistance base, his weapon was destroyed by Resistance air and ground attacks. Hux and his troops flee Starkiller Base and rejoin the First Order fleet.
In The Last Jedi, Hux leads an attack on the First Order Resistance base, losing a dreadnaught in the process. The Resistance escapes but Hux can track them through lightspeed. His plan appears to be a success as the Resistance is running out of fuel, but the First Order is surprised by a sudden attack by General Holdo. With the fleet in disorder, Hux discovers Snoke dead and considers killing his rival Kylo Ren as he lies unconscious in Snoke's throne room. Ren regains consciousness and Hux is initially unwilling to follow Kylo Ren's orders, but Ren force chokes him and Hux declares his rival the new Supreme Leader.
Due to his lack of screentime in The Force Awakens, very little was known about General Hux's background before he began to be shipped with main characters. The lack of any backstory allowed fans to develop their own origin stories and fanon for General Hux., as General Hux was only known by his title, fans had to create a fanon first name for the character and many variations were appearing in fanworks. Some fans attempted to rewrite fics following the confirmation of Hux's canon name, while others refused to accept Armitage and stuck with their fanon name for Hux.
The release of Aftermath: Empire's End confirmed some of fanon Hux's backstory, and many fans began to use elements of his canon backstory in fics. His backstory and the organization of the First Order was further expanded in novels like Aftermath: Life Debt and Phasma. Meta essays focusing on Hux often rely very heavily on the novels, and characters from the expanded universe novels often appear as minor characters in Hux-centric works.
Fanon and Common Tropes in Fanworks
- Post- TFA works often begin with Hux rescuing Kylo Ren from the disintegrating Starkiller Base planet.
- First Order Academy - Some fics are set during Hux's time at the First Order Academy or contain flashback to his training. These works often contain references to abuses Hux suffered in his childhood and during adolescence, which appear often in fanworks.
- Millicent - Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo's twitter post about General Hux having a cat named Millicent, lead to Millicent appearing in many fanworks featuring Hux.
- Trial of General Hux - General Hux is captured and put on trial for the war crimes he committed in canon.
- Emperor Hux or Supreme Leader Hux can be complete AUs, or future fics set post-canon.
- Force Bond fics often pair Hux with Kylo Ren, and a small number portray Hux has been force sensitive.
- Modern AU
- Criminals AU are particularly popular given Hux is a villain
- Hux/Kylo Ren (12,958 works on AO3)
Hux is paired almost exclusively with his political rival Kylo Ren. Kylux is often considered a Two White Guys ship, with some discussions online showing fans, are aware of this criticism and view it as problematic, even if they do ship Kylux.
I think it’s especially worth considering why we’ve collectively/subconsciously resurrected this dude in a fandom mostly lacking in a white guy/white guy ships. because he wasn’t THERE. I just rewatched TFA yesterday, and I can confirm: fanon Hux is not in the building. a lot of loving effort went into imbuing canon Hux with fanon Hux. thinking about why we a) established that effort, and b) why we gravitate back to him, Our Fanon Guy, when there are other objectively more developed and interesting canon characters to fall in love with?
- Hux/Rey (398 work on AO3)
- Hux/Rose (102 works in AO3)
Works written Post-TFA
- Children, Wake Up, a Kylo Ren/Hux series by Hollycomb
- Breaking Point by Alania, AU diverging at the point of Starkiller's destruction: General Hux is ordered to bring Kylo Ren back to Snoke alive, but chooses to collect Rey and Finn as well. When a lifetime is spent moving in one direction, just to have that direction blown carelessly out of the sky, there's a dangerous void left waiting to be filled by something else. (WIP)
- All that you love will be carried away by coldhope, Hux, sent to retrieve Kylo Ren from the dying Starkiller Base, has lost almost everything, and has little patience or tolerance left for anyone or anything--particularly not Snoke's pet pseudo-Sith and his amateur theatrics. But you do the job that is in front of you, to the best of your ability, and you hold on as long as you can.
- Iterative Processing, a Hux POV time loop story by Splintered_Star
Works written Post-TLJ
- Chevrefoil by Vadianna, Hux wakes up, panicked and alone, after a mission he can't remember. The wrongness continues as he realizes the mission doesn't exist, the Finalizer is in the wrong sector of space, the training program is years behind schedule, the Hosnian System is whole and functioning, and no one has heard of Kylo Ren.
- Kylux - Shipping The Dark Side, Star Wars Kylux Rising, General Hux Loves Cats - Headcanon Theatre by ShippersGuideToTheGalaxy
- Conversations about Hux by Aro_Ace_Austrian_in_Space, Filigranka, Flyting, Lyledebeast, Potboy, sigynstark, Following the great Tumblr NSFW ban, we decided to archive our Tumblr meta somewhere a little more stable and fandom friendly.
- General Hux || are you insane like me ? ||
- General Hux // Emperor's New Clothes
- hux // just as useless notable for use of dialogue from novelization Aftermath: Empire's End
- Through Hux's Eyes - Kylo/Hux AU (Kylux) combines scenes from TFA and Domhnall Gleeson's previous role in Frank.
- Hux (Hamilton Parody) by Aiambia, is a filk rewriting a popular Hamilton song to reflect Hux's return in Episode VIII. Notable for referencing accepted fanon, popular fanworks and fanfic tropes associated with Hux.