|Live-Action Film Fandom|
|Release date:||16 February 2007 (United Kingdom)|
|Genre:||Action, comedy, buddy cop|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
A satire of cop movies and British country murder mysteries, this movie stars Simon Pegg as Nicholas Angel and Nick Frost as Danny Butterman. It contains notable cameos and guest appearances from actors such as Timothy Dalton, Peter Jackson, Cate Blanchett, Bill Bailey, Bill Nighy, Jim Broadbent, and Edward Woodward. It is the second of Edgar Wright's Cornetto Trilogy films.
Simon Pegg: There was no room for naked women in Hot Fuzz; it says it. We did have a kind of love story; obviously, Angel has his ex-girlfriend and she says, 'Until you find someone you care about more than your job, you won't be able to switch off.' And then he does, but it's Danny.
Question: So it's gay subtext.
Simon Pegg: Oh yeah, totally. There was a character called Vicky, who we excised in the end because we realized the real romance was here. Not only did we lose the female character, but we gave Danny all her lines.
For example, at the emotional heart of the film is a scene where Nicholas and Danny get progressively drunker on Danny's sofa, until Nicholas confesses that he "doesn't know how to switch off." Danny leans way into his personal space and announces, "I can help you with that." In a Buddy Cop Fandom this would be the cue for passionate makeouts -- and instead of doing so, they watch every buddyslash movie in the history of action films.
In October 2009, the creators went from calling it gay subtext to flat-out slash in a Twitter conversation, starting with calling the movie itself slash, moving on to linking directly to Hot Fuzz slash fiction, and finally moving on to Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost writing bits of slash stories themselves:
Me and @simonpegg once wrote some Nicholas Angel and Danny Butterman slash fiction. It was called HOT FUZZ…(applause)
All power to the slashers I say. I’m deeply flattered that anyone would take mine and @edgarwright’s balls and run with them.
I too am deeply flattered by the slashers. I say all power to handstitched homoerotica.
One last one…”Have you seen the notebook?” asked Angel, searching furiously in the glove compartment. “Many times” replied Danny fondly.
- Don't Drink, Don't Smoke (What Do You Do) by minervacat, a crossover with Due South
- How to Take Care of a Japanese Peace Lily by veracious (2007, originally at yuletidetreasure.org)
- The Policeman Officer's Seduction by Grace (kyuuketsukirui) (2007, originally at yuletidetreasure.org)
- Two Weeks And You're An All-Time Legend by minervacat (2007)
- Sandford Police Archives (gen and slash, 2008)
- Nick Frost, Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright interview @ AV Club
- fregg_love community at livejournal
- Sandford Police community at livejournal
- The Evidence Room - A Hot Fuzz Archive
- Hot Fuzz Fanfiction Index
- Paul Fischer (2007-04-09). "Interview: Simon Pegg and Nick Frost for "Hot Fuzz"". Dark Horizons. Archived from the original on 2007-04-20.
- Edgar Wright (2009-10-19). "The Steamy Hot Fuzz Slash Fiction Tweets: October 19th, 2009 : Edgar …". edgarwrighthere. Archived from the original on 2009-10-23.