|Name:||The Harry Potter Dark!fic Fest (hp_darkfest)|
|Date(s):||31 January 2008 - 28 November 2012|
|Founder:||literaryspell and melusinahp|
|Associated Community:||hp_darkfest on LiveJournal|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Rules and Guidelines
"How it will work:
On August 8, we will post a list of prompts.
We'll ask you to peruse the list and choose which prompts excite you the most. Then you'll list your top three in your sign up, and shortly after that we'll email you to confirm your choice (1st, 2nd or 3rd).
You are also more than welcome to write, draw or paint something plucked completely from your own imagination. You do not need to choose any prompt.
Submissions are due on October 16.
Posting will begin on Halloween and, depending upon how many sign ups there are, will continue through the month at a steady pace. All works will be posted anonymously, because it's more fun that way.
- You must be over 18 to participate or watch.
- Please consider if you will really have the time to finish your fic or art in this time period. If not, then it would be better to watch than to sign up. We will be flexible with extensions, but it will be easier to plan the posting schedule if we have everything in on time.
- There is no minimum word count, however, we'd like you to consider this an opportunity to show off the best of your abilities. We'd rather post ten outstanding pieces than fifty fics scribbled off at the last minute. Let's show fandom exactly how wonderful darkfic and art can be.
- Please keep in mind that this is a Harry Potter fest, meaning it will make your mods happy if you keep canon and canon characterisation in mind, even if it's only in the back of your mind. ;) For example, if you want to write a fic in which Luna goes on a killing spree, maybe make it clear and believable in your story exactly how she got to that place.
- Fics should be proofed and beta read for spelling and grammar. We may ask you to get a further beta if your submission is riddled with problems.
- No posting the fics or art outside of the community until the reveal has been posted. And if you submit art, please don't sign it. This is an anon fest.
- Your work may be slash, het, gen or any combination thereof. Any characters or pairings.
How dark!fic is defined for the purposes of this fest:
Psychological trauma, twisted shenanigans, heavy angst, horror, death, violence, undiluted evil, good intentions gone horribly wrong... if you're here, I'm guessing you know the drill. Ratings will most likely be at least PG-13. Porn is not required. Just get our pulses racing and breath coming faster. Make us feel sick to our stomachs and deliciously excited at the same time.Please pay attention to this bit: Things that are not considered dark for the purposes of this fest: consensual BDSM – if they are happy and consenting, then it isn't dark. Fake out/role play fics in which it seems as if it's non-con but then it turns out through an amazing twist that it's actually consensual. Again, not dark. Both things are fine if the fic contains other elements that are clearly dark."