|Publisher:||Young Rhinoskins & Laura Trise Basta-Sandler|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
It's mainly a Trek (various versions, especially Classic and DS9) zine, but there is a good, longish, two-part B7 crossover. Despite the eccentric numbering, these are simply issues #1 and 2. (I spoke briefly to the publisher at the con, and she explained that originally they had planned to do two issues per year but in fact never did.) There is also a third issue of the zine, but as far as I could tell it has no B7 material.
General Reactions and Reviews
Here is an interesting zine that I bought new at MediaWest. It's mainly a Trek (various versions, especially Classic and DS9) zine, but there is a good, longish, two-part B7 crossover. Despite the eccentric numbering, these are simply issues #1 and 2. (I spoke briefly to the publisher at the con, and she explained that originally they had planned to do two issues per year but in fact never did.) There is also a third issue of the zine, but as far as I could tell it has no B7 material.
The zine verges on (het) adult as some of the scenes get rather steamy. A mild R rating, perhaps. In the B7 crossover stories, there's implied romantic interaction between both Avon/Cally and Avon/Kira (after he thinks that Cally is dead). The only consummated relationship, however, is Kira/Odo.So far I've only skimmed the story, but it looks to be very well- written and I'd recommend it if you like DS9 as well as B7.
Face Forward 1 was published in May 1994 and contains 112 pages. Art by Vanessa Crum, Terry Austin, Laura Trise Basta-Sandler, Christine M. Bichler, Vanessa L. Crum, C. Lee Healy, E. T. Hills, and Michael Kucharski.
- Christine Bichler, "Transporter Games" (Blake's 7/Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
- Star Trek: TOS
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
- A Remembrance of Echoes by Laura Trise Basta-Sandler (part of Federation & Empire: The Series)
- The Myths of Integrity by Laura Trise Basta-Sandler (part of Federation & Empire: The Series)
- "The Storyteller" by E. T. Hills (original)
Face Forward 2 was published in May 1995 and contains 136 pages. It has art by Terry Austin, Laura Triste Basta-Sandler (reprinted from Babel), Vanessa L. Crum, C. Lee Healy (reprinted from Babel), E.T. Hills, Michael Kurcharski (reprinted from Babel), Christine Zrodj-Bichler.
Summary from the publisher: "Includes: Blake's 7, Elfquest, Multimedia, Star Trek, Animation & Comics. Multimedia fan fiction and original fiction. The second fanzine from the truly warped minds of the Young Rhinoskins of Ann Arbor, Michigan."
- Kirk Might Be Yo' Daddy, filk by E.T. Hills (inside front cover)
- "Federation And Empire: The Winds Of Will" and "Products Of An Empire." Classic Trek fiction by Laura Trise Basta-Sandler. "Follow the original fandom series about Star Trek mirror universe into the Next Generation and beyond, as Hugo-nominated Laura Basta-Sandler's classic stories return to print after 20 years, newly written for Face Forward. Find out why these stories generated their own fan club and generations of loyal followers..." (3)
- The Winds of Will by Laura Trise Basta-Sandler (4)
- "Speech And Silence." Original Fiction by Anne C. Moore. Excerpt: "After a while, she got used to the silence. Her breathing and heartbeat ceased to fill the room. Her prison came to seem a home." In a repressive dystopian future, a woman has an encounter that changes her life." (29)
- Skywise's Song by Carol A. Addison (39)
- "Love And Honor." A Star Trek/Blake's 7 crossover by Christine Zdroj-Bichler. A sequel to "Transporter Games," from Face Forward #1. "Kira knows that something is wrong when Kerr Avon returns to DS9. When Odo vanishes under bizarre circumstances, Kira's convinced that Avon knows more than he's telling." (40)
- Recognition by Carol A. Addison (80)
- Jadzia the Trill Lady," filk by E.T. Hills (81)
- I Just Can't Wait to be Kai," filk by Christine Zrodj-Bichler (part of Federation & Empire: The Series) (82)
- Products of an Empire by Laura Triste Basta-Sandler (part of Federation & Empire: The Series) (83)
- "The Moon And The Wolf King." Original Fiction by Christine Zdroj-Bichler. "Why do wolves howl at the moon? Mother Wolf tells her little ones the ancient story." (126)
- The Editorial Borg—The Staff (133)
- Who'll Pay for This, filk by E.T. Hills (inside back cover)
Face Forward 3 Multimedia fan fiction and original fiction. Includes Star Trek: TNG, Star Trek: DS9, X-Files. Young Rhinoskins Press presents the third issue of Face Forward, a collection of fannish and original SF and fantasy stories, poetry, filks and artwork. This year's issue includes:
- "Drusilla's Choice" by Laura Trise Basta Sandler. A work of dark erotica set in the Star Trek universe.
- The first installment of "For the Sake of Justice," by E.T. Hills, an unflinching look at the brutality of the Cardassian Occupation from the viewpoints of both Odo and Kira.
- "Riana's Unicorn," the first part of an Original Fiction fantasy by Christine Zdroj-Bichler.
- "The Girl With Cat-Fish Eyes," an X-Files story by Laura Trise Basta Sandler.
- plus, filks by E.T. Hills and Kathryn Cook, essays by the Editorial Borg. And amazing science fiction art from the studio of new fan-artist Chris Scalf.
- from Judith Proctor's site
- from Sarah Thompson at Judith Proctor's Blake's 7 site