|Pairing:||Elena Gilbert/Elijah Mikaelson|
|Alternative name(s):||Elejah, Elenijah|
|Prevalence:||big during TVD seasons 2/3|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Elena/Elijah is a minor pairing in The Vampire Diaries (TV) fandom.
They first meet when Rose kidnaps Elena in order to gain their freedom by handing her over to Elijah for the intention of using her as a sacrifice.
They later make a deal to help each other destroy their common enemy, Elijah's brother, Klaus. During this time, Elena's actions and her willingness to put herself in harm's way to protect the people she loves earn her Elijah's respect and admiration. He sees a lot of the qualities he values in people in her. Despite both their betrayals to each other, they always choose to trust each other. They both care about each other as friends. They later reunite when Elena poses as Katherine, who was supposed to be meeting Elijah, and they share their first and only kiss.
Due to almost instant popularity of Elijah and their peculiar dynamic, the ship became a very popular pairing among fans who didn't ship Elena with either of the Salvatore brothers.
The pairing was quite popular in season 2 and 3 of TVD but has lost some of its popularity over the years.
First meetings set the tone for the relationship. I love that this scene blatantly makes Elijah/Elena sexual. He leans in, Elena's standing frozen, terrified, and it looks as though he's about to kiss her. Elena looks as though she thinks he's about to kiss her too. It doesn't matter that this is a directorial trick: the point is that it was framed to look like that. Their chemistry could have been played in a number of different ways, and this is how the show chooses to do it. This is how it's going to play out.
It's also an extremely popular background pairing in Klaroline fics.
- The Five Times Elena Saves Elijah from Floozies, and the One Time She Doesn’t. by samanthabreathes, All Elena wanted to do was get a cup a coffee, and maybe a muffin. She hadn't expected opportunity to rear her mischievous head, but, as the saying goes: 'when opportunity knocks, you had better answer.'
Archives and Communities
- Elena/Elijah works on AO3
- Elena and Elijah works on FFN
- elijahandelena blog on Tumblr
- elejah blog on Tumblr
Other Fannish Resources
- Elena and Elijah on The Vampire Diaries Wiki
- elijah x elena tag on Tumblr
- elena and elijah tag on Tumblr