|Owner/Maintainer:||Scott Hassan & Martin Roscheisen|
|Dates:||1998 – 2000|
|Type:||mailing list provider|
|URL:||www.egroups.com (Wayback Machine link)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
eGroups was started as a service called "FindMail" by Scott Hassan in early 1996. eGroups was officially launched in 1998.
It was announced in November 1999 that ONElist would merge into eGroups, and by early 2000, all ONElist URLs and email addresses redirected to eGroups. Some groups were renamed (if both ONElist and eGroups had a group with the same name).
Less than a year later, in August 2000, the merged eGroups was bought by Yahoo!, and Yahoo! merged old ONElist and eGroups communities into Yahoo! Groups in early 2001.
Impact on Fandom
eGroups briefly preceded Yahoo groups before Yahoo ate it up. Oh you guys. Drama wore a different face then. Imagine a world where you sign up for the single listserv devoted to your OTP in the Daily Digest form, so all the emails hit your inbox at once at the end of the day, and you see that two or more listsibs have been going at each other for HOURS about whether or not Severus Snape came from money (in 2001), baying for blood in inboxes all across the world until a mod steps in with something like, “This is not what I like to see when I come home from work.” -- Telanu, August 2015 Tumblr post
Some Notable Fan Communities
- boysinchains (multifandom slash)
- SlashCom (comedy shows)
- Two Axes (due South)
- hpfemmeslash (Harry Potter)
- CI5alltheway (The Professionals)
- StarWarsfic (Star Wars)
- Tolkien Slash (Tolkien)
- eGroups at Wikipedia
- Company Overview at egroups.com, as archived by the Wayback Machine in June 2000
- The ONElist File by Mark Fletcher, which includes eGroups history from their merger with ONElist through their acquisition by Yahoo!
- Management Team, Directors, and Advisors at egroups.com, archived 10 October 1999 by the Wayback Machine.
- ONELIST AND EGROUPS ANNOUNCE MERGER at onelist.com, 09 November 1999. (Archived 28 November 1999 by the Wayback Machine.)
- eGroups/ONElist Merger at egroups.com, Updated 01 April 2000. (Archived 21 June 2000 by the Wayback Machine.)