|Name:||DSE, "Disrupt the Sanity of Earth"|
|Founder:||Emmy Brinks (chix)|
|Type:||mailing list, website?|
|URL:||Disrupt_Sanity_Earth at Yahoo! Groups (defunct)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The group was best known for writing a type of authorfic known as "clichés". These stories were usually written in chat format and featured the author of the story and often other DSE members conversing with the characters and/or one another. Some stories contained very minimal mentions of the Harry Potter universe or its characters, making them more akin to original fiction or fandom RPF.
The most active members of the group were called the "NormCrowd".
One fan reminisces:
The DSE was this group--the name stands for Destroying the Sanity of the Earth [sic]--who basically had way too much sugar and caffeine and loved to write cliches, another thing I don't know if anyone does anymore. You know, when the author literally writes herself into the story--not as Mary-Sue--and all the characters bitch to her about how mean she's being and stuff. I think Gypsy herself did one of the first ones, or it might've been Flourish... who knows. Anyway. Yeah, they were fun, but it got old after a while.
Most of these stories written for the DSE were posted in the "Harry Potter Authors" category on FanFiction.Net. This category was deleted in September 2002, along with all the stories in it. One member wrote: "The DSE's foundations have been stabbed at by FFN's unjust deletion of the HP Author Fics section. i mean, seriously- we were born and raised on the HP Author Fics section. WE WILL GO CRY NOW." Additional stories may have been removed due to FanFiction.Net's ban of "chat room or keyboard dialogue based entries", also announced in September 2002.
- Fuzzy Blue Owl's bio at FictionPress, originally at FanFiction.Net. Undated; posted after 12 October 2000. Their bio states: "All of the DSE fics will be archived at .", but hyperlinks have been removed from FanFiction.net profiles, so the original text and URL are unknown. It may have been a link to the Yahoo! group or to a separate fansite.
- Mel (lor22ms). Silver Flames - Clubs. Described as: "One of the original Harry Potter clubs. Very fun." (First archived by the Wayback Machine on 22 November 2002.)
- For example, see DSE-The Sugar Island TV Network by chix, January 2001, posted in the Harry Potter category; and DSE: Taking Over the Olympics, 2002 by Fuzzy Blue Owl, September 2002, posted in the "Humor" section of the original fiction archive FictionPress. (Accessed 10 March 2017.)
- For example, the story The Origins of Green Ketchup by Fuzzy Blue Owl (March 2002) describes the NormCrowd as "the major members of the DSE".
- Ann Riddle (Unaccepted Pylades) at Harry Potter's Realm of Wizardry Forum. Re: Fanfiction Lingo « Reply #6, posted 04 September 2003. (Accessed 10 March 2017.)
- lordkelvinffn quoting Xing Li's 12 September 2002 post, Fanfiction.Net NC-17 Ban in 2002 (posted 24 April 2012; accessed 10 March 2017). See also FanFiction.Net's NC-17 Purges: 2002 and 2012.
- ZePruneMoufine's bio at FanFiction.Net states: "I am the starter of the new DSE (and yes, I did have Emmy's permission before I started)! Muahahaha! Recruits? Come to me, my beloved children! IM me, e-mail me, do anything you can! I love you all!" The author's notes for their story The Breakout further states: "I was about to start the new DSE when I realized I had no fics to credit my own insanity!" and "These fics are called clichés. Maybe some of you remember them. They're written—well, like this. I am reviving the DSE."