Chirrut Îmwe/Baze Malbus
|Pairing:||Chirrut Îmwe/Baze Malbus|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Chirrut Îmwe/Baze Malbus is a slash pairing of the Rogue One fandom, which is part of the greater Star Wars fandom. It is often referred to as 'SpiritAssasin', the style of many Rogue One pairings which use occupations to create ship names.
Chirrut and Baze are both Guardians of the Whills, members of an order of spiritual warrior-monks. The two live, apparently together, in Jedha City, where Chirrut preaches the Force and Baze is a freelance assassin. Chirrut is deeply faithful and believes in the power of the Force to protect him, while Baze is less faithful and says he is the one who has protected Chirrut.
The two join the rebellion. After Chirrut is injured on the battlefield, Baze runs to him. Chirrut dies in his arms, telling him Malbus not to grieve: if Baze looked to the Force, he would always be able to find him. Baze soon dies repeating Chirrut's mantra: "The Force is with me and I am one with the Force."
The Guardians of the Whills tie-in novel written by Greg Rucka provides additional material to their backstory:
Baze and Chirrut used to be Guardians of the Whills, who looked after the Kyber Temple on Jedha and all those who worshipped there. Then the Empire came and took over the planet. The temple was destroyed and the people scattered. Now Baze and Chirrut do what they can to resist the Empire and protect the people of Jedha, but it never seems to be enough.
The fandom took to the pairing quickly after the release of the movie and it quietly became the most popular slash pairing inspired by the movie. As of June 2017, Chirrut/Baze is the second most popular Rogue One pairing on AO3, after Jyn Erso/Cassian Andor
- Everybody Lives
- Younger Years: Many fanarts and fanfics aim to explore Chirrut and Baze's pre-canon life on Jedha and younger years, often depicting them as friends from an early age.
- Marriage: Many fanworks assume that these two were in an established relationship prior to events in Rogue One, with some theorising that they were married.
- Modern AU
- Rogue One: Are These the Gay Star Wars Characters We’ve Been Looking For? on vulture.com
- Jiang Wen on Chirrut and Baze's Relationship
- Always Near by afrai, Baze is on security detail on a luxury Hutt transport when he meets the worst sex slave in the galaxy. Weirdly, not actually an AU.
- A Single Monk in Good Standing Must Be in Want of a Bro by Annie D, Baze tries to befriend new arrival Chirrut Îmwe, but accidentally woos him instead.
- They Have Taken Photographs of Our Footprints in the Dust by dharmaavocado, In which Chirrut and Baze have spent more than half their lives together, and Chirrut likes to spin stories of how they were married.
- Every Good Thing by erebones, Baze is a tattoo artist with a cat and an adopted daughter. Chirrut is a professor with a seeing eye dog and a penchant for getting in trouble with the law. Will they find love???? (yes, the answer is yes)
- The Crystal's Song by sebastianL, He is a Guardian. He believes in the Force. He is alone. Things change.
- Sickfic by naberiie.
- Chirrut Îmwe/Baze Malbus fanarts by gorlassar
- Chirrut Îmwe/Baze Malbus fanarts by naniiebimworks
- Chirrut Îmwe/Baze Malbus fanarts by dianmz
- Chirrut Îmwe/Baze Malbus fanarts by kannibal
- Chirrut Îmwe/Baze Malbus fanart by janrheeee
- Chirrut Îmwe/Baze Malbus fanarts by poorlyformed
- partners by lazy-afternooner
- u ever think about these space husbands sitting in the ruins of their former temple as their whole world crumbles and it’s hard to survive but they have each other (and the force) by geniusbee
- i have you! by allthestarsinthesky
- I am one with the force, and the force is with me by emptyfaygobottle
- galaxies by baramitzvah
- this is hero by rave-skeeterZ