Category talk:Anime & Manga Fandom
Removing individual anime fandoms
Per the discussion on Category:Anime, should individual anime fandoms be pulled from this category and only broad fannish material left? Essentially, I'm thinking the 33 items collected at the top should be moved to Category:Anime. -the old briar pipe 01:19, 17 November 2012 (UTC)
- I think so, it doesn't really make sense for them to be here. --sparc 02:39, 18 November 2012 (UTC)
- ETA: I didn't notice the "Work in progress" note on the category page until now -- is that outdated? Or should fandom categories really be cross-categorized? Because it seems to me that including fandom pages would just be redundant and make the general info hard to find.
- I didn't notice either, because I couldn't see the note for the swath of fandoms above (or below?) it. Hm. I think for me, the primary issue is that we have no subcategories for the material that has no other anime/manga home than this page right now. We have no subcategories for genres, mangaka, seiyuu, doujinshi, amvs, anime cons, cosplay, forums, anime/manga-based fic, etc. Once those exist, having a million individual anime/manga fandom tags up there will make it impossible for people like me (ADD and difficulties reading colored text) to actually find relevent material. Is there a procedure for requesting or registering new categories, or a better way of finding old categories than skimming through 50 at a time on the list? Because that's giving me a headache. -the old briar pipe 04:04, 18 November 2012 (UTC)
- I agree. Maybe the note means to cross-categorize Category:Anime and Category:Manga rather than every individual fandom cat? Then we could also have Anime & Manga Conventions, etc. as subcats here, though we would need enough pages to go in them first ^^. Also, we have Category:Doujin Fandom which is where doujinshi stuff currently is. I don't know if Doujin Fandom should necessarily be a subcat, but we could just link to it in the description as they are related.
- Re: making new categories, if it's something simple like a fandom category/subcategory with a clear home, I'd say just go for it. Otherwise, bringing it up on a talk page (like this!) is a good start, or big changes/restructuring usually get discussed at the fanlore Dreamwidth community. For searching, if you're trying to find a specific topic you can use the search box by checking the "Category" box, but I'm not sure if there's an easier way to browse. --sparc 05:09, 18 November 2012 (UTC)
- Oh, that makes sense! And yes, we definitely need to find some way to connect Doujin, AMVs, Anime, Manga, etc. on this page, without necessarily making them subcats. For further subcats, I was thinking cons, clubs?, sub & scan groups/info, sites, etc. Mangaka could go on the manga page, and seiyuu on the anime page, as their own subcats. And all of these requires more pages, though I'm working on making sure there are enough sub-related pages to group. Once I have enough to group, I'll bring the idea to DW. Thanks for reminding me the comm exists! -the old briar pipe 23:53, 19 November 2012 (UTC)