|Creator:||Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil, based on Characters from DC Comics|
|Medium:||live-action TV series|
|Country of Origin:||USA|
|External Links:||Official Site, official Twitter Wikipedia, IMDB|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
- "Jefferson Pierce, who retired from his superhero persona Black Lightning nine years ago, is forced to return when his daughter Jennifer, who is hellbent on justice and a star student, gets recruited by a local gang."
- Jefferson Pierce/Black Lightning
- Lynn Stewart-Pierce
- Jennifer Pierce
- Anissa Pierce/Thunder
- Tobias Whale
- Billy Henderson
- Peter Gambi
- Kiesha Henderson
- Kara Fowdy
- Latavius "Lala" Johnson/Tattoo Man
- Grace Choi
- Evelyn Stillwater-Ferguson/Lady Eve
- Tori Whale
- Martin Proctor
After the CW released a first look trailer, excitement for the series appeared on various media sites such as Tumblr, Twitter, and Facebook. There were some mixed reviews because it wasn't a live-action Static TV series (a well known black superhero character due to the Static Shock animated series being the first introduction to the character for most fans), the fear that the show sounds too good to be true (the main cast being POC, an established comicsverse lesbian character with Anissa Pierce), and that it would not be part of the Arrowverse and others are happy that it will not be part of it. Gifs/Gifsets and reblogs of the first look and poster appeared within days of the release of the video.
The series was proposed to Fox first and is not part of the Arrowverse, however due to Fox selling it to the CW, it's quite possible the series could eventually be apart of it much like Supergirl although it will not be part of the next four-way DC crossover. References to two characters from the Arrowverse, Supergirl and Vixen in an episode of season one, executive producer Salim Akil says the lines were not meant to indicate they were in same universe, but just a "fun reference" for fans of the DC Universe and "If there’s ever a crossover, Supergirl will come to Freeland, or Green Arrow will come to Freeland.” 
The two most popular characters are canon femslash pairing Grace Choi/Anissa Pierce ("Thundergrace") and the canon het pairing Jefferson Pierce/Lynn Pierce. Other femslash pairings also started appearing, for example Anissa Pierce/Chenoa and Anissa Pierce/Iris West (in crossovers with the Arrowverse).
Gen fanworks are also fairly common within the fandom, mostly dealing with the Pierce family.
Archives & Fannish Links
- Black Lightning & crossovers works at FFN
- Black Lightning works at Archive of Our Own
- Black Lightning TV at Twitter, a KSiteTV Twitter account
- Tumblr tags: black lightning, blacklightningisback, black lightning 2017
- Daily Black Lightning
- DCTVPolyamShipWeek, a DCTV poly week challenge blog which includes Black Lightning
- First Look Trailer released
- Wikipedia TV Series
- First Look Trailer at the CW
- Some positive comments: , , , , 
- Some Static-related comments: , , 
- Comments: , , , 
- Some Arrowverse-related comments:, , , 
- CBS's Supergirl was set in a different universe than the Arrow and The Flash in the early first season, and many of the early reports/interviews established it being apart of the Arrowverse, before eventually establishing a crossover episode between Supergirl and The Flash where Supergirl was apart of the multiverse: Supergirl is on Earth-38 while Flash & Arrow is on Earth-1. It's second season and the network change to the CW allowed for more crossovers between the shows.
- CW Announces Fall Lineup: ‘Arrow’ Moves to Thursdays, Next Crossover Details Revealed. May 18, 2017.
- Regarding peoples' confusion about BL as part of the rest of the DCCW universe...
- Black Lightning Not Part of Arrowverse, Won't Be Part of CW's Next DC Crossover. May 21, 2017.
- Black Lightning Season 1 Episode 9 "The Book of Little Black Lies"
- Black Lightning boss addresses those Arrowverse references by Chancellor Agard on EW. April 16, 2018. (Accessed on April 28, 2018.)