Anastasia (Anastasia character)
Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna of Russia
Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanova
|Relationships:|| Dowager Empress Marie Feodorovna (grandmother), Tsar Nicholas II (father), Grand Duchess Olga, Grand Duchess Tatiana, Grand Duchess Maria, and Alexei Nikolaevich (siblings)|
Sophie Stanislovskievna Somorkov-Smirnoff (1st cousin),
|Other:||Voiced by Kirsten Dunst (young) and Meg Ryan (adult)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Anastasia, also known as Anya, is a character from the 1997 animated film Anastasia. She is based off a real historical woman of the same name, who had been rumored to have survived her family's execution in 1918. The film's character Anastasia is based off of the fact that she had amnesia and that's the reason she never revealed herself again - of course it throws magic, music, and fantasy into the mix because of it being a young children's film.
In the film, she and her grandmother, Marie, had survived the execution by the help of young servant. However, on the attempt to get away by train, Anastasia doesn't make it, and falls and hits her head. From there she grew up in an orphanage for ten years under the name "Anya" without knowing anything about her family except for a necklace with "Forever in Paris" written on it. Anya heads to St. Petersburg in order to find a way to get to Paris. She had no papers, and in order to get some, she had to head to the palace where Dimitri and his friend Vladimir live in secret. Dimitri convinces Anya into pretending to be the look-alike Anastasia in order to travel to Paris with the possibility of meeting her family. On the way she falls in love with Dimitri and is repeatedly attacked by the Rasputin, who was in limbo due to her still being alive.
In Paris, she pasts the test with her first cousin, Sophie, however she was originally unable to be seen by Marie due to her having given up - tired of the lies and false hopes. Dimitri, knowing that Anya is the real Anastasia, manages to convince Marie to give Anya a chance. Due to this, Marie and Anya reunite and realize the truth - that she really is Anastasia. In a celebration for her return and dealing with her feelings for Dimitri who had left without his reward, Anastasia visits the gardens, however it was all a trap. However, Rasputin attacks her on a bridge. Dimitri tries to save her, however he is knocked unconscious. Anastasia manages to save herself and kills Rasputin in revenge for her family. Dimitri and Anastasia kiss and head off away in a boat away from the celebration.
Anastasia is often mistaken as a Disney Princess due to her animation and princess status, another possibility is because the film came out around the same time that other Disney classic films came out where the characters are a known Disney Princess - for example, Ariel from the Little Mermaid.
- Safe by Lina_Natsudori, Anya had never considered that there could be a bright side to being a memory-less orphan before. (Anastasia/Dimitri)
- Last of the Romanovs by DawnieWrites, When Anastasia and Dmitri elope, they decide to roam Russia, and eventually settle in what is at that time Stalingrad, where their first and only child is born. (The Avengers Movieverse Crossover, Natalia Romanov is the daughter of Anya and Dimitri)
- Anastasia Nouveau by kishokahime
- Once Upon a December by ParadoxParade
- Memory from a Dream by brusierkee
- Anastasia by RazSketch
- Things I Almost Remember by kuabci
- Anastasia by VaneKairi
- Anastasia by paufranco
- Anastasia by MartaDeWinter
- Princess Anastasia by camusaltamirano
- Anastasia + Eric by SerifeB (Non/Disney)
- Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps - over 1,492,800 views
- What Hurts the Most (a What If? vid where Dimitri had died)
- Cinderella/Anastasia - Have We Lost (Non/Disney)
Archives and Communities
- Cherished Memories, a character fanlisting
- Little Miss Anya (DeviantArt)
- Anastasia Romanov search at DeviantArt