- "...the great goddess, the sun god, the mother to all that is good—as the cutest, most fluffiest and huggable thing in eternity ever oh gracious."
- —"A Warm and Fluffy Feeling" by loquaciouslass
|Name:||Amaterasu (天照; アマテラス)|
Ruler of the Celestial Plain
Origin of all that is good, mother to us all
|Relationships:||Issun (friend); Waka (friend); Celestial Brush gods (embodiments of power); Shiranui (previous incarnation, "father"); Chibiterasu (son); Thor (honored opponent)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Amaterasu (天照, アマテラス) also known as Ōkami Amaterasu (⼤神天照), and affectionately by the nickname Ammy (アマ公), is the protagonist of the 2006 Capcom video game Ōkami. She is a white wolf based on the Japanese goddess, Amaterasu (天照⼤御神, Amaterasu-ōmikami), of real-life Shinto tradition.
Reception and Popularity
Ammy—as she is called by her in-game companion Issun and by her real-life fans—is adored by Ōkami fans and many JRPG fans in general. She is as endeared by her canine antics and warm personality as she is by her striking design and majestic presence. In 2010, readers of the Japanese magazine Famitsu voted Amaterasu into eighth place in a poll for the best video game character of all time. That same year, in a Dengeki poll, Japanese readers voted her fourth in a character they wanted to befriend.
Fanon and Tropes Common to Fan Works
Due to the ghost guard Yatsu referring to Amaterasu as a lovely maiden, and the seer Waka addressing her with flirtatious speech, many hold the headcanon that she—like the Amaterasu of real-life Shinto belief—has a beautiful humanoid appearance (AKA a gijinka) as her true form, or as one of many forms. Some fans speculate that Amaterasu wouldn't often use this humanoid form because she can only assume it on the Celestial Plain with her full power as a goddess, while others believe that she would prefer her wolf form for comfort, convenience, and/or power.
Fan artists and authors have designed many gijinka interpretations. Amaterasu's white coloring and red markings are usually incorporated into the design, and she also tends to retain certain wolf traits—most often her wolfish ears, and commonly her tail as well. Humanoid Amaterasu is a popular subject of cosplay. In romantic fan works, Ammy often takes a humanoid form if her love interest is humanoid.
Amaterasu is referred to as male by many in-game characters (as normal humans unable to perceive Amaterasu's divinity, they likely have not gone to the trouble of checking the sex of a seemingly random stray dog); Amaterasu's previous incarnation, Shiranui, is referred to as male; and Amaterasu performs her urination attack with her leg raised, which—according to a popular misconception—is the habit of male canines. Thus, many fans (especially those in the North American region) believe that Amaterasu is male or sexless, though she is officially female according to the Japanese and European versions of the game. A common theory is that the female Amaterasu has a mortal wolf as a vessel, and this wolf itself was male; the statue she's currently possessing may also be of a different sex.
Ammy is commonly depicted sharing affection with her son, Chibiterasu, in fan works; the two never interacted face-to-face in Ōkamiden. Dark Chibiterasu is often depicted as his brother, sometimes inheriting his coloring from his fanon father, Oki.
Ammy has been commonly paired with Waka, with whom she shares an affectionate relationship, and with Oki, who possesses the ability to transform into a wolf. Crossover pairings involving fictional wolves from other media—particularly Wolf Link from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, another JRPG with a wolf protagonist released in 2006—are also popular.
- Amaterasu/Wolf Link
- https://sailor-whom.tumblr.com/post/166211968650/human-version-of-ammy-i-referenced-a-lot-of by queenfurball (deleted)
- Kemomimi Ammy, featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry™ Series!
- Amaterasu - Otakon 2015, photo taken by David "Dtjaaaam" Ngo
Fan Sites, Communities, and Archives
- FanFiction.Net (FFN): Ōkami stories and crossovers featuring Amaterasu
- DeviantArt (DA): GijinkaOkami
- Archive of Our Own (AO3): Amaterasu (Okami) - Works
- Pixiv: #アマテラス(大神), #アマ公
- Gifford, Kevin (October 2, 2010). "Snake Beats Mario, Is Coolest Video Game Character Ever". 1UP.com. Archived (https://web.archive.org/web/20130518204748/http://www.1up.com/news/snake-beats-mario-coolest-video) from the original on May 18, 2013. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- "What Game Characters Does Japan Want To Befriend?" (https://kotaku.com/5630912/what-game-characters-does-japan-want-to-befriend). Kotaku. September 6, 2010. Archived (https://web.archive.org/web/20140520003113/http://kotaku.com/5630912/what-game-characters-does-ja pan-want-to-befriend) from the original on May 20, 2014. Retrieved May 19, 2014.