Alphonso Mackenzie/Elena "Yo Yo" Rodriguez
|Pairing:||Alphonso Mackenzie/Elena "Yo Yo" Rodriguez|
|Alternative name(s):||MackElena, YoYoMack|
|Fandom:|| Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. |
(Marvel Cinematic Universe)
|Prevalence:|| Rare in fandom, |
but popular for both characters
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
After becoming an Inhuman, Elena Rodriguez believes that her powers are a gift from God, but she comes to the attention of S.H.I.E.L.D. for her vigilante activities. At their first meeting, both Elena and Mack view one another as a threat. She kidnaps him to protect herself, but Mack only tries to talk to her when he realizes that she isn't dangerous. He names her Yo Yo, as her powers allow her to move significant distances at inhuman speed before returning to her original position. She fondly refers to him as turtle man.
They worked closely together as Shield agents, often flirting before beginning a romantic relationship in season 4.
In season 3, a flash forward scene suggested an Agent would die in the season finale. Many fans initially believed this could be Yo Yo as her crucifix was seen floating in space, while others feared Yo Yo would gift it to Mack, which she did, and that he would be the one to die.  Prior to the season finale, a small number of fics looked at the prospect of Mack sacrificing his life for the team and Yo Yo's grief from losing him. In the finale, Lincoln Campbell died and both Mack and Yo Yo survived.
Common Storylines & Tropes
- Missing scenes are often fluff, and focus on the development of their relationship, which is not the main focus in canon.
- Post-Framework fics where Yo Yo helps Mack deal with losing his daughter Hope for the second time.
- Kid fics in this pairing are usually quite angsty, as Mack still grieves the death of his infant daughter
- Mission fics where Mack and Yo Yo go undercover as a married couple
Archives & Fannish Links
- As of 9/1/2018, it is the most popular pairing for Yo Yo and the second most popular pairing for Mack
- "Who will be the one to die?".