Kataang vs Zutara
|ShipWar:||Kataang vs Zutara|
|Fandom:||Avatar: The Last Airbender|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Kataang is generally considered to be the "winner" of the ship war, since it became canon in the series finale and their relationship was further explored in post-canon stories and The Legend of Korra. This has not stopped Zutara's popularity, though, or the fans who still wish or believe it should have been the canon pair.
Zutara shippers developed into two camps: those who were simply passionate about their OTP and those who insisted it become canon. The "cave scene" in "Crossroads of Destiny" was an infamous moment in the shipping war.
During the third season, the increased Kataang shiptease (as well as the reveal of Mai as Zuko's love interest) led to outcry among more militant Zutara fans who ranted that the episodes were "bad" and "OOC" and looked for any sort of hints that would favor Zutara. The less they got, the more intense their anger and bashing became. This led Kataang shippers who felt pushed too far to start fighting back viciously.
Recent Kataang shippers have begun to bring up Aang and Katara's mutual status as genocide survivors as an argument against Aang detractors who claim he "didn't suffer enough to deserve Katara"  and claim Zuko "understands Katara better". 
The finale saw Zuko getting back together with Mai and closed out with a romantic kiss between Aang and Katara, initiated by the latter. Zutara fans were livid. Some even tried to claim that everyone on the staff except Bryan and Mike shipped Zutara in order to validate their insistence that their ship should have won, though many of them failed to provide proper context or evidence.
Eventually, the theory that head writer Aaron Eshaz shipped Zutara was proven false. 
When The Legend of Korra was announced in 2010, it was revealed that Aang and Katara had stayed together and had three children, one of whom was revealed in the first trailer. This angered Zutara fans who had hoped the canon pair would break up somewhere along the line, freeing Katara for Zuko.
- Hi, I'm slightly new to the ATLA fandom... - A point by point description of the worst of Zutara fandom, complete with links.
- What’s the issue with zutara?
Results of the Conflict
In turn, some more extreme Kataang shippers began to accuse Zutara shippers of projecting onto Katara because they want to hook up with Zuko themselves, which others find uncomfortably close to hateful personal attacks. Some bitter anti-Zutara fans even went so far as to compare it to Reylo, a ship that's taken a lot of heat in fandom for being "abusive." 
In 2020, Netflix began airing the series, re-igniting the shipping war.
In 2021, it was announced that Katara in the upcoming live-action adaptation would be aged up to 16 with Aang still being 12, causing Zutara fans to immediately assume their ship would be canon. 
- Zutara is so stupid
- I’ve censored names because I don’t want anyone to be sent hate
- And so a lot of Katara hate a la Southern Raiders arises.
- let it be known that 2018 was the year zutara died
- Exploring Canon
- Fandomsecrets Thread
- Derogatory Urban Dictionary entry
- Fandom Secret
- just bc zuko was older, had a scar and a “bad boy image” doesn’t mean that katara had to like him
- r*ylo really is just a crap version of z*tara, huh.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender Netflix Series Reportedly Lands New Showrunner
- ATLA ENDING WITH KATARA AND ZUKO KISSING THIS TIME
- Aang was infatuated with Katara, not in love with her
- where was all this caring for katara's arc