The Route to Advancement Series
|Title:||The Route to Advancement Series|
|Date(s):||26 February 2009 - 01 March 2010|
|External Links:||The Route to Advancement Series (AO3)|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
The series won the Spring 2010 Merlin Slash Awards in the category Best Humor ("Arthur/Merlin Fanfiction").
POV character is a likeable OMC, Percy, who is one of Camelot's knights and trying to gain a better position at Court to make his family proud. This has been more difficult than expected until someone gives him the advice to befriend Prince Arthur's manservant. That actually helps but also makes Percy's life a lot more complicated. The series shows the friendship between Merlin and Arthur from a different POV and has great comic timing.
- The Route to Advancement. Summary: New Knight hopeful, Percy, has been at Court four months, but it might be another four years before Prince Arthur stops calling him Perrin. That's where Merlin comes in.
- The Route to Advancement: An Epilogue. Summary: Merlin makes good on his promise to 'talk to Arthur' about the Winter Tournament.
- The Route To Advancement: A Day at the Tournament. Summary: In which Percy's father comes to court, Brutus is useless and Merlin is a Perfect Manservant (sort of).
- The Route to Advancement: A Most Unfortunate Hunt. Summary: In which there is a hunt, a bog, some rescuing and some emotional blackmail. Oh and Brutus redeems himself slightly.
- Percy the Legend. Summary: How Sir Percy ended up recorded for all time as the Sir Percival of legend – raised in the woods and 'ignorant to the ways of men' (clue: his sister may have been involved. Possibly.)
- Percy and the Midnight Quest. Summary: In which there is a quest, a strange creature, and some revelations.
Recs and Reviews
- "this was written before S3 and the official introduction of Sir Percival, so Percy is a different character than Percival. this is sort of an outsider's view of Arthur and Merlin's interactions, but this author does a fantastic job of developing Percy and inserting him into the midst of things, so by the time I was halfway though, I already adored Percy. route to advancement is the first in a series of Percy (and of course, Arthur and Merlin) -related stories."
- "six stories in all, gen. YES I SAID GEN! I know you are all shocked. These stories feature a knight-in-training named Percy, who is not quite the Percival from the show, and he is learning to adjust to Camelot. Mostly, he's learning to adjust to Merlin and Arthur's relationship, and it is priceless and funny. Stories 1 and 2 made me laugh the most, but there is a section in the sixth story (which features a fire-breathing blue toad) that had me crying, I kid you not. Again, YMMV. These are a great deal of fun. I love outsider POV stories."