The Dove Keeper
|Title:||The Dove Keeper|
|Date(s):||November 5, 2006 - October 30, 2007 (TDK)|
December 4, 2011 - August 22, 2012? (epilogue)
|Length:||626 pages (published book)|
|External Links:||archived masterpost|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
The story has 54 chapters, plus an epilogue and a sequel called The Rainbow. At least the first part of the story was posted at mychemicalslash, but most of the story was deleted some time after being self-published as original fiction. It appears to be an angst fic where the characters don't stay together.
Author's summary: Frank is a seventeen year old who doesn't want to grow up and has little aspirations for anything beyond standing outside the local liquor store and getting drunk. But when he meets Gerard, the old, ageing, and well known fag artist, he is offered something he cannot turn down.
Fans are still crying over the ending on tumblr:
- the dove keeper tumblr tag
From a 2011 theblackparade.net discussion:
It's really well written and everyone raves about it. It's a good story, but honestly, I lost interest after twenty or thirty chapters. It seemed like every chapter was becoming a long-winded life lesson.
I finished reading this this morning and I'm actually really sad it's over. Though I skipped some of the long, boring description and that, I didn't miss any plot and I really, really loved it.
2011 LiveJournal rec:
I've just finished reading and feel compelled to say it's left me feeling rung out with emotion. I can't even imagine how it feels to be able to write with such feeling.
2013 Tumblr comment:
2016 Tumblr rec:
The Dove Keeper, The Epilogue and the Sequel The Rainbow by Underwater_sky were my second, third and fourth big Frerard fanfics and guys, it’s insane how much those 3 books taught me. Not only about art, but about the beauty of being alive.
2016 Tumblr discussion:
...the age difference is so extreme I don't look at it as romantics or anything I look at the story as if it's an adult taking advantage of a kid and the kid doesn't know any better, and tbh looking at it like that makes it readable and like, deep or whatever. but yeah if that age difference was supposed to be romantic that's gross af
I don’t know what the author intended, but I know some people see it as a beautiful, romantic relationship. Idk, I just can’t see it that way. It’s actually refreshing to meet people who agree–until recently, I saw nothing but praise for the relationship. It’s gotta be the biggest fic in this fandom, if not in bandom in general.
- “Comme le soleil interminable.” by deanpendragon on tumblr (18 FEBRUARY 2013)
- i cant breathe by bo0zey on tumblr (September 27, 2013)
- when people ask u what “the dove keeper” is about by sunsetgoth on tumblr (June 2, 2014)
- // The Dove Keeper aesthetic // by theyellowgrassgrows on tumblr (May 12, 2016)
- Portuguese translation on livejournal
- The Dove Keeper (1), 2006-11-05.
- The Dove Keeper, Archived version, thread started by PunkAssMofo!, Sep 13, 2011.
- The Dove Keeper Epilogue - glitter_geek, Archived version, posted to livejournal 5 December 2011.
- untitled tumblr post, Archived version by frankenshay, 18 November 2013.
- Full length Frerard Rec-List No.1, Archived version by my-freedom-is-reading, September 4th 2016.
- anon ask answered by mcrdeviantclub, Archived version, posted to tumblr 23 January 2016.