|Author(s):||trinityofone, artist: newkidfan|
|Date(s):||4 May 2006 (story and art), 19 September 2009 (podfic)|
|Length:||2900 words (story), 0:21:20 hours (podfic)|
|Genre:||slash, fusion, cyberpunk|
|External Links:||Tannhauser Gate (LJ)|
Tannhauser Gate (tales of an unreal city)
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
- Atlantis didn't love him any more than Troy loved its wooden horse.
Sample Recs and Reviews
I have a weakness for stories about John being not quite human, and this is one of the really creepy/good ones. 
An absolutely brilliant short AU that subtly twists the Atlantis expedition into something totally unexpected and darkly disturbing. Disquieting is the best way to describe it I think. There's a subtle, creeping sense of wrongness to it, from the very beginning and the eventual reveal is both deeply disturbing and eerily plausible. 
In this Atlantis -- skewed, grittier and darker than the one we know -- the moral compromises and ethically questionable decisions happened even earlier than in canon. The gradual reveal and build-up, and the implied inevitable sad ending make this a haunting story. 
There's something about Sheppard, something everyone else knows, except him. Who is John Sheppard? What motivates him? This story gives us a truely terrifying answer. It's scary and beautiful and feels so real. 
- podfic announcement post at the podslash community, 19 September 2009. (Accessed 14 May 2011)
- rec by cupidsbow, 11 June 2006. (Accessed 14 May 2011).
- Stargate: Atlantis AUs and Crossovers - 10 recs by fairestcat, 24 November 2009. (Accessed 14 May 2011).
- Top 5 favorite SGA/something else *fusions* by skaredykat, 27 March 2010 (Accessed 14 May 2011).
- Rec50; WebCite, 2006