- Yes, I don't see any reason for separate pages. --Dora 19:00, 10 November 2008 (UTC)
- Would people consider episode tag or post-ep the prevalent term? --Betty 19:16, 10 November 2008 (UTC)
- I would say episode tag - to me, it seems to be more widely used. But then I've never been active in any of the fandoms cited for post-ep. --Dora 19:22, 10 November 2008 (UTC)
- I grew up on the term "post-ep" and was surprised to find there wasn't an entry for it on the site. A quick google search, like Ratcreature says, returns more than 5000 hits across all sorts of fandoms. The terms are used interchangeably; I don't see why one should be privileged over another.--Punk 20:42, 10 November 2008 (UTC)
- The terms are used interchangeably, but the page can only be *called* one thing, so we kind of have to end up privileging one over the other, or else have redundant pages. Since post-ep is more popular on google, I'd go with post-ep and add a redirect from "episode tag." -- Liviapenn 23:26, 10 November 2008 (UTC)
- I thought episode tag more common these days, but in combination with "fanfic" post-ep gets more more google hits.--Ratcreature 19:36, 10 November 2008 (UTC)
Reopening merge discussion
Was there any conclusion to this? It seems very odd to me to have two articles discussing the same concept. I think they should be merged one way or the other, and any differences in usage discussed in the resulting article.
My perspective is that 'post-ep' (or more usually post-[Name of Ep]) was widely used in UK fandom (eg Blake's 7) in the late 1990s & early 2000s. The term 'episode tag' wasn't known to me until I joined Buffy fandom c2001. I assumed it was a US term, but it might just have been something invented by newer fandoms. Espresso Addict 03:10, 31 August 2012 (UTC)
ETA: I got nearly twice as many Google hits with '"post-ep" fanfic' as with '"episode tag" fanfic'. Espresso Addict 05:22, 31 August 2012 (UTC)
- I agree they should be on the same page. As long as one redirects to the other, then both are covered. I have no personal preference as to which one but would recommend going by the google hits with "post-ep." --Mrs. Potato Head 18:04, 4 September 2012 (UTC)
- I think those google results are misleading--what I see most often isn't "episode tag", it's "Tag for [episode]", and if you feed '"tag for" fanfic' into google you get far more than you do for "post-ep", even allowing for a large percentage of false positives. That said, they both seem to be widely-used terms, so I don't think it matters especially. But since "tag" is often used by itself, maybe there should be a disambiguation page, one going here and another to AO3 tags?--Greenygal 18:36, 4 September 2012 (UTC)
- I agree the Google stats are hard to interpret, but 'post-' is also commonly used in the form 'post-[episode title]', which is recalcitrant to Google. I'm not overly invested either way, as long as the pages are merged. Does anyone know which is the older term?
- Agree on the tag disambiguation, once this page name is sorted. Espresso Addict 18:49, 4 September 2012 (UTC)
In view of the prevalence of this term & episode tag, I've decided not to merge them, but retain this one to record differences in fannish usage over time/between fandoms. I've tried to make it clear that episode tag is where the main discussion of the genre is located. I'll keep watching this article and move future discussion of the genre, as opposed to the nomenclature, to ep tag. Espresso Addict 18:04, 2 November 2012 (UTC)