|Country of Origin:||United States|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Supergirl is a 1984 superhero film directed by Jeannot Szwarc and written by David Odell. It is based on the DC Comics character of the same name and serves as a spin-off from Alexander and Ilya Salkind's Superman film series. The movie stars Helen Slater as Supergirl, along with Faye Dunaway, Brenda Vaccaro, Mia Farrow and Peter O'Toole, with Marc McClure reprising his role as Jimmy Olsen from the Superman films. Christopher Reeve turned down the offer to cameo as Superman / Clark Kent, and only appears as a poster on a wall. Supergirl was the first English language superhero film to feature a woman in the lead role.
In Sydney, Australia, the premiere night of Supergirl was attended by fans dressed as Supergirl, Batman, Robin the Boy Wonder, Batgirl, Catwoman, Lois Lane and Superman. This troupe eventually became known as Harpic Productions and performed Rocky Horror Picture Show-inspired audience participation sessions during late-night retro screenings of the 1966 Batman movie.
Connections with other Fandoms
Archives & Fannish Links
- Supergirl FanFiction Archive
- Superman (Christopher Reeve Movies) works at AO3
- Superman works at FFN
- The Big Apricot, a fanfiction archive
- reeveverse, a LJ community
- reeve_stillme, a Still community
- Superman Homepage, a Superman website that focuses on anything Superman which includes the Reeveverse films.