Super Smash Bros.
|Name:||Super Smash Bros., 大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ|
|Abbreviation(s):||Smash Brothers, Smash Bros., Smash|
|Creator:||Nintendo, Masahiro Sakurai|
|Date(s):||January 21, 1999 - December 7, 2018|
|Country of Origin:||Japan|
|External Links:||Smash Bros. official website|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Super Smash Bros. is a series of crossover fighting games published by Nintendo, that primarily features characters from franchises established on its systems.
The gameplay objective differs from that of traditional fighters by aiming to knock opponents off of the stage instead of depleting life bars. The series features many characters from Nintendo's most popular franchises, including Mario, Fox McCloud, Link, Kirby, Samus Aran and Pikachu. The original Super Smash Bros. had 12 playable characters, and the roster count has risen to 26 characters in Melee, 39 in Brawl, and 58 in 3DS/Wii U. In Brawl, two third-party characters were added, Solid Snake and Sonic the Hedgehog. Additional third-party characters Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud Strife and Bayonetta appeared in 3DS and Wii U.
- Super Smash Bros.
- Super Smash Bros. Melee
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
The fanbase has been divided on several aspects: which game is the best of the series, and whether the games should be played casually or competitively, which leads to divisions regarding the use of items and which stages to play with, creating Character Tiers, and of course who should be on the roster. Many unofficial Super Smash Bros. themed boards and forums, for example Smash Boards or r/smashbros, generally have a large divide between casual and competitive players, with the most vocal being seen as the stereotypical fans.
Introduction to Fire Emblem
Many western fans were first introduced to Fire Emblem in 2001 via Super Smash Bros. Melee, two years before the first Fire Emblem would be released outside of Japan, as Marth and Roy were both playable fighters. This has lead to some jokes within the fandom, Marth is sometimes referred to as "Marth from Smash Brothers" and when new Fire Emblem were announced many would jokingly ask if Marth and Roy were playable.
Fanon and Tropes
- It is very common for SSB fanfiction to envision the game as a tournament with all characters living in the "Smashers' Mansion". While the "mansion" has no basis in the games, the Animal Crossing scene at the beginning of the SSB4 trailer as well as Snake's conversation with Colonel from his E3 reveal trailer lends credence to the "tournament" idea.
- Since the playable characters are merely imagined versions based on dolls/trophies in-universe, some fans interpret that the Smash universe is similar to Toy Story where the characters are literally dolls or trophies that spontaneously come to life.
- It is often believed that the crowd cheer for Ganondorf is him possessing the crowd to cheer for him since the chant for Ganondorf often sounds rather lifeless and dreary.
- The Subspace Emissary's Worlds Conquest by AuraChannelerChris is a fanfic loosely based on Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The story is over 4,000,000 words long; for a time it was the single longest piece of fanfiction ever, and perhaps also the longest piece of English literature in human history.