|Occupation:||Gnome Bard, member of Vox Machina|
|Relationships:||Kaylee Shorthalt - daughter|
|Other:||Played by Sam Riegel (IMDb)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Scanlan is a fictional character played by Sam Riegel on a popular D&D web series Critical Role. He was one of the main characters in Campaign 1 and a member of Vox Machina. During the Chroma Conclave arc, Scanlan developed a substance abuse problem. After he died in a fight with Raishan and was brought back, he left Vox Machina and moved to Marquet and developed a crime boss persona The Meat Man. He later returned to Whitestone and rejoined the party for the fight against Vecna.
Some fans didn't like Scanlan at the beginning of the stream because he came off a little sleazy and like a womanizer stereotype, though by the type Campaign 1 was ending a lot of people were appreciating the character.
For fans who started playing D&D after watching the show, Scanlan became the blueprint of how to play a bard, though (in a similar way to Matt Mercer Effect) people often try to emphasize that you don't have to be Sam Riegel to play a bard.
- an empty gun by sparxwrites - “So,” says Scanlan, when he finally finds Percy. He’s high up on the ramparts of Castle Whitestone, on the thin walkway that runs behind the crenelated wall, just… standing. Watching. His coat, still torn through with bullet holes and stained russet-red with dried blood, his blood, flaps faintly in the breeze. “I’m sure the others aren’t going to appreciate me telling you this, but we found that letter of yours.” (In which Scanlan has a long-overdue talk with Percy.)
- we're on the road to nowhere (let's find out where it goes) by impossibletruths - He collects them slowly, and mostly by accident. [or, a Critical Role Star Wars AU]
- if that hole's got a heart by skanktuary - everyone really did miss Scanlan. He can tell because they won’t stop trying to fuck him. trying, and succeeding.
- The Miracle Worker by Crewe - (Major spoilers for episode 68) Scanlan is used to saving his friends. He's not used to failing.
- Scanlan by Charles Farrell
- Listening to AWNP's second episode is a RIDE after this ep. by Pettyartist
- Bigby's Hand, Archived version by purplestylus
- Scanlan, can you maybe chill, Archived version by deeddippe
- What if Scanlan becomes a villain and instead of the meat man he calls himself THE MAESTRO, Archived version by requiem-man
- Scanlan Shorthalt, Archived version by Jazeoth
- Scanlan Shorthalt aka Burt Reynolds, Archived version by Kristopher Vaughan
- Scanlan by mikandiiprints
- The Best Hits of Scanlan Shorthalt by Dan White
- A Tribute to Scanlan by Eponymous Rose
- Critical Role Character Theme - Scanlan Shorthalt by Ethili Music
- scanlan shorthalt- oh me by peppermint-moss
- Scanlan Shorthalt by Lia1291
- Scanlan - A Song to Inspire by cebli8
- Vox'Animated - Scanlans Carols by TJ Sohre
- Cat-Scan, Archived version by Cat Cosplay
- Scanlan Shorthalt cosplay by PolarWren Cosplay
- Scanlan Shorthalt ~ Critical Role, Archived version by Cosplay Amino
- Scanlan cosplay by sheres_cosplay
- All my Critical Role Cosplay/Make Up Tests so far..., Archived version by glitzervampir
- Wild nights are my glory (I think, too, that part of the reason why this...), Archived version - meta focusing on Scanlan's substance abuse problem