|Relationships:||Lestrade (co-worker), Anderson (co-worker, lover), Sherlock Holmes (antagonist)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Sergeant Sally Donovan is a member of Scotland Yard in BBC's TV miniseries Sherlock. She is a minor antagonist to Sherlock Holmes. In the unaired pilot (available on the DVD of the first season) Donovan is played by Zawe Ashton, but in the aired episodes, she is portrayed by Vinette Robinson. She appears in the first and third episodes.
Sally Donovan is a member of DI Lestrade's homicide investigation team, perhaps his second in command (although this is never canonically stated.) She appears with him in the press conference regarding the serial suicides in the first episode, and is at Scotland Yard in Lestrade's office in the third episode when Sherlock arrives to examine Moriarty's first overt message. Donovan is one of the few recurring characters on BBC Sherlock not to be based on any character in original book canon. She is also the only person of color to be a recurring character.
Donovan and Sherlock do not get along; she refers to him as "Freak" and warns John Watson that he is a psychopath who will probably end up becoming a killer when solving crimes is no longer interesting enough to hold his attention. By the third episode her warnings have become slightly less ominous, consisting of repeatedly suggesting alternate hobbies he could have. ("Fishing!")
As of episode one, Sally was having an affair with Anderson, a married forensics technician.
In fanfiction Sally is often portrayed as a one-dimensional "Mean Girl" who just stands around and cruelly insults Sherlock; however there are also many more nuanced portrayals of her character.
There is not much fic for Donovan/Anderson. Some fans enjoy making up theories that explain that actually, Sherlock was wrong, and Donovan and Anderson's supposed "affair" was actually something completely innocent.
There is a slight chemistry between Donovan and Sherlock that leads some fans to theorize that her antagonism towards him is based on either a past romantic relationship that ended badly, or Sherlock's clumsy rejection of a romantic advance from Sally. Sherlock himself introduces Sally to John Watson as "an old friend," an odd thing to say for someone who, later in the episode, is startled by the idea that he might have any friends at all. Examples of Sally/Sherlock stories include:
- The Deepest Secret Nobody Knows by sciosophia; Sally and Sherlock's affair resulted in a child, who he never sees.
- The Case of the Disappearing Brides by Poshcat; Sally and Sherlock have to go undercover as a newlywed couple.
- A Worthy Opponent by Mary Sutherland; Sally and Sherlock occasionally have mutually satisfying violent hatesex.
- Sherlock/Sally angry shower sex by anonymous; does what it says.
- Breath and Shadow by thisprettywren; mostly John/Sherlock but with past Sally/Sherlock.
- A Hundred Thousand Miles by what_alchemy (gen)
- The Bespoke series by blooms84 (Sally/Mycroft)
- when Harry met Sally (and then Sherlock Holmes) (gen, Harry Watson & Sally Donovan friendship)
- "Hello. My Name Is Sally Donovan. You Dumped My New BFF. Prepare to Die!" by Kantayra, post-ep for episode 3 (gen, Sally Donovan & Molly Hooper friendship)
- I GUESS IT IS AN UNPOPLUAR OPINION, BUT I REALLY LIKE SALLY DONVOAN. by the-master-of-deduction on Tumblr.
Fanart and Comics
- Entries tagged Sally Donovan on the BBC Sherlock kink meme
- Works tagged Sally Donovan at The Sherlock Holmes Kink Meme Archive
- Works tagged Sally Donovan on the AO3
- Stories in category Sgt. Donavan on fanfiction.net