|Fandoms:||Buffyverse, Battlestar Galactica, Nip/Tuck|
|URL:||Glamourous Rags; rozk@LJ; Wikipedia Entry; Science Fiction Encyclopaedia entry|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Roz Kaveney is a British journalist, novelist, editor, poet, critic and former fan author who was mainly active in the Buffyverse.
Kaveney's academic work on fandom includes editing and contributing essays to books on the Buffyverse, Battlestar Galactica, and Nip/Tuck. She has also written guides to science fiction and fantasy films, superheroes in comics and films, and teen cinema and TV.
- Reading The Vampire Slayer - The New, Updated Unofficial Guide To Buffy And Angel (editor and contributor, 2001)
- From Alien to the Matrix: Reading Science Fiction Film (2005)
- Superheroes!: Capes and Crusaders in Comics and Films (2006)
- Teen Dreams: Reading Teen Film and Television from 'Heathers' to 'Veronica Mars' (2006)
- Battlestar Galactica: Investigating Flesh, Spirit, and Steel (co-editor and contributor, 2010)
- Nip/Tuck: Television That Gets Under Your Skin (co-editor and contributor, 2011)
She is open about her fanworks, stating that I like moonlighting as a committed fan - I never had that much serious credibility to lose, and haven't lost what I had anyway.
In her essay, '"She Saved The World -- A Lot": An Introduction To The Themes And Structures Of Buffy And Angel', she describes how she fell in love with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. On her fanfiction page, she adds: I decided I ought to check out all of the on-line Buffy fandom and I discovered that there was a lot of material out there that I actively admired. After a bit, I decided that I felt guiltier about not contributing to the culture than I did about elbowing my way into it with the odd bit of published fiction and a reputation as a critic in my background.
The majority of her fanfiction is for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She has also written a few pieces in several other fandoms, including a Lord of the Rings AU, Webs, which is perhaps her best-known story. Most of her stories feature female characters, and sometimes femslash. All her work is archived at her personal site, Glamourous Rags, at dymphna.net. As of 2012, her fanwriting is on hiatus.
- Bed of Bones -- BtVS First Slayer study. Which Witch writes: RozK's style was very clean, flowy, and somehow fitting - like the simple basic life of the first slayer, so is the writing (simple in a good way, of course). RozK manages to give a very beautiful feel of the way the slayer's mind works - basic thoughts, more emotions and instincts then anything else.
- Webs (link) -- Lord of the Rings AU for The One Ring Challenge. It was widely recommended and won a Mithril Award for Best Alternate Universe or Crossover in 2003. Sparing with words, dark like a fine chocolate, and causes a shudder up your spine. (Mithril Awards judge)
- Works by or including Roz Kaveney published by I.B.Tauris. (accessed 5th July 2015)
- Transformative Works and Cultures: Index (accessed 26 April 2012)
- Glamourous Rags: About Roz Kaveney (accessed 26 April 2012)
- Glamourous Rags: Fanfiction (accessed 26 April 2012)
- Better Buffy Fiction Archive: Roz Kaveney (accessed 26 April 2012)
- Mithril Awards 2003: Award Winners (accessed 26 April 2012)