New Amsterdam (2008 TV series)
This article is about about the 2008 fantasy drama police procedural series. For for the 2018 medical drama series, see New Amsterdam (2018 TV series).
|Creator:||Allan Loeb and Christian Taylor|
|Date(s):||March 4th to April 14th, 2008|
|Medium:||Live-action TV series|
|Country of Origin:||USA|
|External Links:||at IMDb|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
John Amsterdam, real name Johann van der Zee, is an immortal Dutch man born in 1607 and he cannot die until he falls in love with his One True Love. In his current life, he's a New York City homicide detective who spends a lot of time telling people (who don't believe him) that he's immortal.
Other cast members include:
- Eva Marquez (Zuleikha Robinson): Amsterdam's new partner
- Dr. Sara Millay Dillane (Alexie Gilmore): a St. Francis Hospital emergency room physician; John believes her to be his soulmate
- Omar York (Stephen Henderson): owns a jazz club named Omar's: Bar–Grill; John's 65-year-old son with schoolteacher Lily Rae Brown
- Detective Sergeant Callie Burnett (Susan Misner): Amsterdam and Marquez's boss
Fannish reaction to New Amsterdam was strong among those who had been fans of other shows featuring immortal characters. The fact that the show seemed to be completely unaware of the existence of these other shows (Highlander, Forever Knight, True Blood and etc.) seemed incredible to those watching, and the initial excitement over a possible new twist to immortal characters quickly faded, with many initial fans deciding to abandon the show. As a result, the fandom remained small. The show was cancelled in May 2008, after only 8 episodes.
Fanworks for the show are rare, with some work published on the New Amsterdam : Forever forum (Forum - NA Forever link[Dead link]), and as well as a mostly inactive newamsterdamfic LiveJournal Community. Other fanworks were published on FanFiction.Net (2 works) and AO3 (19 works).
Connections with other Fandoms
The show would share several similarities with ABC's Forever new 2014 TV series, such as an immortal man and his goal to become mortal/die as well as an older son, working with the police force, etc. Despite the similarities, Forever gained a full season compared to New Amsterdam.
- In Infinite Regress by HalfshellVenus for donutsweeper, With immortality comes an endless cycle of loss.
- New Amsterdam by FranziskaBlue, a little some brief ideas about the show
- Instinct by falsemurmur, Something combusted inside of him, and suddenly he could feel the fire emanating from her infusing with his own, and the soft hint of a blush crossed her cheeks. He raked his eyes over her face, her lips, nose, and eyes specifically. He gulped after realizing he had not taken a breath for a moment or so, and directed his gaze away from her eyes, and rather to the contours of her physique.
Archives and Fannish Links
Fansites & Forums
- "The Blue Whale Pub • View forum - New Amsterdam Forums". Archived from the original on 2010-01-15.