Neville Big Bang
|Name:||Neville Big Bang|
|Moderator(s):||coffee_n_cocoa & shiiki|
|Founder:||coffee_n_cocoa & shiiki|
|Type:||Big Bang challenge|
|Associated Community:||nevillebigbang on LiveJournal|
nevillebigbangl InsaneJournal feed
|URL:||The Neville Big Bang Archive|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Neville Big Bang was a 2010 Big Bang dedicated to the Harry Potter character Neville Longbottom. Sign-ups began January 27, 2010, and submitted fanworks were posted on July 30, 2010, Neville's 30th birthday.
Neville Big Bang accepted het, slash, and gen fanworks of all ratings. Because it had a shorter timeline than other Big Bangs, the minimum length for stories was only 10,000 words (whereas other Big Bangs often require 50,000+ words).
The challenge's only content restrictions were a ban on RPF and the requirement that fanworks be Neville-centric. The rules further elaborate:
- Fics must involve Neville Longbottom in a central role. They do not have to be written from his point of view, and he doesn't have to be the only central figure, but it needs to be the case that without him, the fic would be a quite different. If you aren't sure if your fic is about Neville or has Neville in a central role, please feel free to ask.
The challenge followed the following timeline:
- January 27, 2010: Preliminary sign-ups began.
- February 24, 2010: Author and cheerleader sign-ups closed.
- April 28, 2010: Official sign-ups opened.
- May 5, 2010: Official sign-ups closed.
- May 12, 2010: Artist assignments sent out.
- July 21, 2010: Final fanfic and fanart due.
- July 30, 2010: All fic and art posted.
- August 27, 2010: Exclusivity period ends.
Five stories were completed, totaling 138,000 words. Twelve pieces of art were created. (See also the Fic and Art Index.)
- Best Laid Plans by unbroken_halo and irana
- Neville/Draco | NC-17 | 72,700 words
- Neville's plans to restore the Malfoy gardens before Draco's upcoming nuptials are disrupted when he falls in love with the groom.
- Holding On, Letting Go by slam_girl
- Neville/Lavender, Neville/Hannah | R | 20,000 words
- Set during the months after the war, Neville has stayed on at Hogwarts for a few months to sit for his NEWTs while trying to figure out what he wants to do with himself after he finishes school. He also explores his relationships with Lavender and Hannah, as well his complicated relationship with his parents. A lot of reflection on Neville's part.
- The Importance of Socks in the Life of a Teenage Male by gala_apples
- Neville/Seamus/Dean | NC-17 | 10,800 words
- In an AU seventh year, Neville notices some things about Seamus and Dean and feels the need to act on his ideas.
- Life goes on by  acquiescence_
- Charlie/Neville | Hard R | 30,000 words
- Charlie is not in a good place after the war, dealing with the loss of his brother takes it's toll on him and he looks for solace in an unlikely place - Neville. Neville is trying to find his place in life now that the war is over and finds himself brought into the Weasley family, and more specifically into Charlie's life. And the two have to find a way to make this work.
- The Meaning of Home by booknerdguru
- Neville/Millicent Bulstrode, Neville/Hannah Abbott | PG-13 | 34,087 words
- It takes a certain amount of courage to know about the wonders of the universe and then turn your back on exploring them, choosing to go back to what some might call a boring life. However as the old adage goes, adventuring men always come home. This is the story of how Neville Longbottom adapted to life after the war and how what he learned and the people he met changed his life forever. (Crossover with Buffy/Angel, Stargate SG-1/Stargate Atlantis, Warehouse 13, James Bond, Fringe, the Cthulhu Mythos, Dune, The Hitchhiker's Guide Series, Sherlock Holmes, Doctor Who/Torchwood/Sarah Jane Adventures, Simon R. Green's Nightside and Drood book series.)
Additional artwork for fic that dropped out of the challenge included:
- Illustration by pennswoods: Brooding, Fraternizing, and I Couldn't Escape You (G and PG, colored pencil and ink)
- The Neville Big Bang Archive. Rules. (Accessed 21 November 2011.)