|Date(s):||1952, 1990, 2019|
|Medium:||books, comics, cartoon|
|Country of Origin:||Finland|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Moomins started out as a book series by writer Tove Jansson, and from there developed into a long-running comic and many different cartoon series made by an international array of figures, and both a museum and a theme park in Jansson's native Finland.
A new cartoon, Moominvalley, led to a "Moomin Renassiance," in early 2019 where the Moomins went viral on tumblr and twitter, introducing English-speakers around the world to the franchise. It was helped by Big Name Fans like passionpeachy. New fans overwhelmingly shipped Moomin and Snufkin, which was often called Springdove, a name termed by liebrenado. The show was often praised for having a soft aesthetic and alleged gay subtext, though this was controversial and led to discourse about age gap ships and fujoshi. The Moomin Renaissance fizzled out at some point in mid or late 2019.
Moomintroll is stated to never "reach adulthood during the Moomin stories" on the official Moomin website. Snufkin's name means "scruffy old man" in Swedish. This led to some shipping discourse, as one is a child and one is an adult. Springdove shippers largely responded to accusations of age gap shipping by insisting that the characters do not have canon ages, although they do.
just an fyi literally almost none of the moomin characters have canon ages and even characters like snufkin who smoke from a pipe are unclear because children are allowed to drink and smoke in moominvalley. It's really just up to your interpretation I think Tove Jansson just didn't care to state their ages lol little my is the oldest one of the friend group though, even older than snufkinpassionpeachy
snufkin and moomin don't have canon ages but they're both approximately the same ageloopnoid
Ages in Moomin stories are very vague and this is likely intentional on Tove Jansson’s behalf. Vague age makes it easier for the author to have characters do different things without having to worry about it being age-appropriate.Moomintrivia
- If shipping Springdove supported Tove Jansson's vision or went against it
- The characterization of the Joxter, and the shipping of him with his son, Snufkin
- Differences between Scandinavian fandom culture and American fandom culture
- i feel some type of way whenever i see anybody using springdove for snufkin/moomin
- Moomintroll doesn’t reach adulthood during the Moomin stories, but he does grow up a lot in the book Moominland Midwinter.
- (Swedish: Snusmumriken – dialectical snusmumrik or mumrik, "old man who talks carelessly; old codger, old bore; old snuff-taker; snotty or scruffy old man," derived from snus, "snuff," + interjection mum, also in mumla "mumble," with pejorative ending -ik)
- loopnoidas for some questions i'm getting a lot:
- Are there any canon ages for the characters? I've always thought of Snufkin as being in his early or mid teens, but I'm not sure about the others Moomintrivia
- You’d think “adorable hug-shaped cartoon best friends” would pass every purity test, but people manage to get mad about it anyway. May 9, 2019