|Date(s):||created 10 November 2008 - February 2011 (last entry)|
|URL:||merlin_flashfic (Livejournal); archive link|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Merlin Flashfic was a bi-weekly fanfiction challenge community for the BBC show Merlin. It is modeled after other flashfiction communities like ds_flashfiction and sga_flashfic and has similar rules. The basic idea of the community is very simple: "every two weeks a challenge will be posted and then lots of lovely stories get posted in response."
From the profile:
- Challenges will be posted to the comm at roughly fortnightly intervals and responses must be posted before the challenge is closed. [...]
- Please make suggestions for future challenges – just comment with the idea in response to a previous challenge.
- Posts must not be OT: they must be a response to the current challenge or a request for a beta for a challenge response.
- The minimum length for a story is 100 words. [...] If your story is longer than the LJ post limit, it can be posted to a separate web page and a link posted to the community instead. Aside from that exception, stories should be posted directly to this community and only to this community, and not cross-posted elsewhere (including personal LJs). This rule only applies while a challenge is running; once the challenge has closed you are free to post it wherever you like.
- All genres (except for RPF), pairings and ratings are welcome as long as they meet the conditions of the challenge. [...]
Notable merlin_flashfic Stories
- Beltane by astolat (Celebration challenge) - "There is a story that is not told in Ealdor anymore, not for many years now, a story about Beltane Eve."
- By Strength and by Virtue by casspeach (Make Them Do It challenge) - magical creature, in this case, rather than aliens.
- Despoiled by astolat (Transformation challenge) - In which various people become various things they weren't before.
- Obeisance by casspeach (Knee-walking challenge) - It's not that Arthur won't share his toys, just that he expects to get them back undamaged.
- Reciprocation by astolat (primae noctis challenge) - The workplace sensitivity training of Arthur Pendragon.
- Treason to Us by janne_d (Secrets challenge) - Arthur finds out. And he does not react well.
- Winter's Trial by janne_d (Winter challenge) - The first snows of winter have fallen and Arthur has Merlin to find and a test to pass out in the cold, or neither of them will make it back to Camelot.
- janne_d. The Flashfic's Call, 12 November 2008. (Accessed 31 October 2010)