|Name:||Margaret "Maggie" Sawyer|
|Relationships:|| James Buchanan Sawyer (ex-husband)|
Jamie Sawyer (daughter)
Toby Raynes (girlfriend)
Kate Kane/Batwoman (girlfriend)
Alex Danvers (ex-fiancée)
|Fandom:||DC Comics, Supergirl (2015 TV series)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Maggie Sawyer is a DC Comics character.
Maggie Sawyer first appeared in Superman Vol 2 #4 (April, 1987).
Maggie Sawyer is a police officer who has worked in Gotham City and Metropolis. Beginning her career as a member of the Metropolis Special Crimes Unit, she worked alongside Dan Turpin as her partner and frequently interacted with Superman. Following a transfer, she becomes a detective in the Gotham City Police Department where she interacts with Batman. She is an open lesbian and has pursued relationships with several women.
Supergirl (TV Series)
Maggie is a police detective of the National City Police Department and a member of the Science Police. She was also Alex Danvers's fiancée, however the engagement was broken off amicably after finding out that Alex wanted children and Maggie did not.
Maggie Sawyer appeared in multiple episodes of Superman: The Animated Series and one episode in Justice League. Maggie also appeared on Smallville multiple times throughout the seasons (including Season 11) as a police lieutenant and later a detective. The video game Batman: Arkham Knight mentions Maggie while Kate Kane speaks of their marriage.
Supergirl (TV Series)
While fans had little issue with Maggie Sawyer being a person of color in the Supergirl series continuity, some were unhappy to find out that Floriana Lima would be playing the part. Before the casting of Lima was announced, executive producer Andrew Kreisberg noted that Maggie was Latina, though the show itself only had Maggie refer to herself as "non-white" in season 2. Discussions of whitewashing continued throughout the fandom, but lessen somewhat after season 2 finished airing as many became avid fans of Maggie and Alex's relationship. It came to forefront once again when season 3 directly addressed Maggie being Latina when visited by her father.
As season 2 aired, Maggie's storyline with Alex was very well received, however there is a segment of fans who dislike the idea of Maggie being with anyone other than Kate Kane, her former love interest from the comics. There is also a smaller segment of fans who are angry about the show omitting Toby Raynes, Maggie's original girlfriend from Metropolis.
The announcement that Lima would be downgraded from a regular cast member to recurring in Season 3 had many fans worried about what this would mean for her and Alex's relationship, especially given the CW's role in the rise of the Bury Your Gays trope being used the previous year. Maggie leaving the show was attributed to Lima being caught off guard by her upgrade to regular cast in season 3 and her wanting time to pursue other jobs. Some fans became more skeptical of this after Andrew Kreisberg as fired following sexual harassment claims as he had given most the interviews regrading her departure.
In April of 2018 a fan campaign began under the #MaggieMatters and #SanversMatters hashtags in response to comments made by Chyler Leigh on how a large amount of sanvers scenes were cut from Supergirl. An online petition was first created wanting the return of Maggie Sawyer and on April 12th the "Maggie Sawyer Matters Fundraiser" was launched to support the True Colors Foundation, a charity aimed at ending homelessness within the LGBT community. A skybanner was later flown over the studio with the message "Bring Maggie Back #SanversMatters" and chocolates were delivered to the crew.
- Detective Maggie Sawyer by tk7272
- Maggie Sawyer (Earth-27) by phil-cho
- Maggie Sawyer + styles by danidraws
- untitled by syniidraw
- Maggie Sawyer working a long shift with no one to chat to. by pretend-animator
- Captain Maggie Sawyer by arunion
Archives & Fannish Links
- Maggie Sawyer fanworks at AO3
- Maggie Sawyer works at FFN (Batman)
- Maggie Sawyer works at FFN (Supergirl)
- Tumblr tags: Maggie Sawyer
- Maggie Sawyer at wikipedia
- Maggie Sawyer at DC Database
- Maggie Sawyer at Arrowverse Wiki
- Maggie Sawyer at Smallville Wiki
- Maggie Sawyer at Batman Wiki
- Maggie Sawyer at DCAU Wiki
- The Disappointing Truth About Supergirl’s Maggie Sawyer
- Bring Maggie Sawyer and Sanvers back to Supergirl
- Maggie Sawyer Matters Fundraiser
- Sanvers, Maggie Sawyer fans fly banner over Supergirl season 3 set
- "We should be who we are, and we should kiss the girls that we want to kiss." In Maggie's honor, the kisses are on us today! We hope the Supergirl Cast and Crew enjoy them! #MoreSanversKisses #BringMaggieBack