Lydia Martin/Stiles Stilinski
|Pairing:||Lydia Martin/Stiles Stilinski|
|Alternative name(s):||Stydia, Martinski|
|Prevalence:||Moderate, more frequent as background/past relationship than focus|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Lydia/Stiles is the het relationship between Lydia Martin and Stiles Stilinski on the television show Teen Wolf. Its portmanteau name is Stydia. Some fans use the portmanteau of their last names, Martinski, instead, particularly when the relationship is more gen than shippy.
In the first season, Stiles says that he has been in love with Lydia since the third grade. Although she is popular at school and downplays her intelligence, Stiles has indicated that he is aware of and finds her intelligence attractive. At the start of the show, Lydia is barely aware of his existence; as they get pulled deeper into the world of werewolves they become allies and friends. They both function as researchers for the pack.
As of the fourth season, they have never been romantically involved, though Lydia has kissed Stiles. There have been moments on the show suggesting the possibility of Lydia having or developing feelings for Stiles.
In season six, Stiles reaffirms his love to Lydia stating "Remember that I love you." Afterwards, Stiles is kidnapped by the Ghost Riders and wiped from everyone's memory. Lydia, however, remembers that someone is missing and tells Scott and Malia that she thought that she loved them. Later, after everyone is reunited, Lydia confesses that she does love Stiles and that everything changed after she kissed him to stop his panic attack.
Lydia/Stiles is one of the more common het relationships in the fandom, but it does not compare to the popularity of Derek/Stiles, and in the past was tagged less frequently than Lydia Martin/Jackson Whittemore (the most popular Lydia ship in 2014). As of September 2018, the Lydia/Stiles tag at A03 has surpassed Lydia Martin/Jackson Whittemore, perhaps because of their canon status or because Jackson was absent from the series for several seasons.
Early on some Stydia fans believed that the ship was the show's endgame pairing and waited for them to become canon ever since the first season. Stydia shippers are often seen as passionate, but aggressive. Although it is not true for some of their shippers, it is a common stereotype.
- Stydia was number 15 as one of the Top 20 ships reblogged/discussed in 2016 on Tumblr .
- In 2017 Stydia had dropped thirteen places to number 28 of the Top 30 ships reblogged on Tumblr
Common Tropes & Fanon
- Relationship with Derek: Derek is often featured in Lydia/Stiles fanworks. Most often, Lydia/Stiles is a background or past pairing in a predominantly Derek/Stiles work; sometimes Lydia has a friends with benefits relationship with Stiles while encouraging him to pursue a romance with Derek; sometimes the work is actually a Derek/Lydia/Stiles threesome.
- Detectives: Some fanworks focus on Lydia & Stiles' role as researchers for the pack, teaming them up to solve mysteries in canon or in detective or cop AUs.
Archives & Communities
- Lydia Martin/Stiles Stilinski tagged works on the AO3.
- Stydia tag on tumblr.
- Martinski tag on tumblr.
- Stydia Fanfiction is a Tumblr where users can submit and read fanfiction. It has over 11,000 followers.