|Gender category:||Femslash, F/F|
|Fandom:||San Junipero / Black Mirror|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Let’s be honest: no one is looking to Black Mirror for uplifting storylines, let alone uplifting queer storylines. The series focuses on the ways in which technology reveals our worst traits and impulses; it’s usually a downer. Who would have thought that the bleak waters of Black Mirror would give us one of the most enduring and uplifting queer love stories of 2016? “San Junipero” took us all by surprise with it’s twisty love story of Yorkie and Kelly, two women who traverse time and distance to find each other. While the conceit of the episode is classic sci-fi, it is the grounded, human love story that elevates the romance between the shy, introverted Yorkie and the wild party girl Kelly. Their tentative flirtations, fears, and very tender sex scene strike a chord of familiarity that every queer woman can relate too.
Because of the importance of the song Heaven is a Place on Earth, which plays in the opening and ending of the episode, many have come to associate the pairing with it and often use lyrics from the song within fanworks.
- Ooh baby do you know what that’s worth? Ooh heaven is a place on earth! 🎶 by jennlso
- They say in heaven love comes first by Alice X. Zhang
- Heaven is a place on earth by sophiediao
- their story is so beautiful by deadlilmoon
- Heaven is a place on earth by kghoul
- OOOH HEAVEN IS A PLACE ON EARTH. by sophiebeerdraws
- I wanna be your last first time by karatam
- the art of the (im)possible by mswyrr
- After and Before by pitch_playbook