|See also:||Historical AU, Historical Fanworks|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Random House Dictionary c. 2014 defines historical fiction as .
- the genre of literature, film, etc., comprising narratives that take place in the past and are characterized chiefly by an imaginative reconstruction of historical events and personages.
- works of this genre, as novels and plays
The Historical Novels Review used the following definition: a “historical novel” is a novel which is set fifty or more years in the past, and one in which the author is writing from research rather than personal experience. 
Historical Fiction vs. RPF
List of Fandoms Based on Historical Fiction
A few rarelit fandoms have arisen based on some works of historical fiction, though television and film adaptations tend to generate or renew fannish interest. The following is an incomplete list of fandoms on Fanlore. Note: What constitutes inclusion on this list may vary among fans.
- Mary Renault's historical novels
See List of Costume Drama Fandoms for a subtype of film and television canons set in the past. Some of these are based on contemporary fiction that was written in the past, rather than historical fiction.
- "historical fiction." Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc. 22 Nov. 2014. Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/historical+fiction
- Defining the Genre: What are the rules for historical fiction? by Sarah Johnson, 2002, accessed 2014-11-22 (Wayback link, accessed 2021-02-28).