|Trope · Genre|
|See Also:||Modern AU, Real World Events in Fanworks|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Fiction, art, and other fanworks can make use of historical settings and characters for a variety of reasons:
- The canonical backstory for long-lived or immortal characters may include earlier historical periods (e.g. Highlander, Angel the Series).
- The source text may itself be in the historical fiction genre, set entirely or partly in the past (e.g. Mary Renault's novels set in ancient Greece, Earth's Children, Assassin's Creed).
- The source text may have been created a long time ago (e.g. Jane Austen's novels, written in the early 1800s).
- The source text may include time travel (e.g. Doctor Who).
- The source text is history itself (e.g. Historical RPF about real people in history).
Historical fanworks that shift the setting to a different historical period are sometimes called Historical AUs.