|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Hermann Gottlieb is a main character in the 2013 film Pacific Rim and its sequel Pacific Rim Uprising.
Hermann Gottlieb is a scientist working with the Pan Pacific Defense Corps, who warns his superiors about the increasing frequency of Kaiju attacks. He is working to find a way to close the breach through which the sea monsters are crossing into this dimension. When he and his colleague Newton Geiszler drift with a Kaiju brain they discover how to close the breach and end the war.
In Pacific Rim Uprising Hermann is still working with the PPDC, now led by Secretary General Mako Mori.
- Newton Geiszler/Hermann Gottlieb is the dominant pairing in this fandom and the most common pairing for Hermann.
- The pairing of Hermann Gottlieb/Vanessa Gottlieb also appears. This pairing is sometimes a past relationship or a poly relationship, with Newt often the third member of their threesome. Thus this pairing is actually quite rare.
Common Tropes & Storylines
- Hermann's Limp is not explained in canon. Various explanations arise in fanworks to explain Hermann's reliance on a walking stick, including several works tagged Hermann Gottlieb has MS
- Bear Your Neighbor's Burden Within Reason by callmejude, written for the kink meme prompt: "Hermann's cane ends up being lost/broken. Until he can get a replacement, he has to (reluctantly) rely on Newt to get around. Cue them wandering around arm in arm. It starts off annoying and a little embarrassing at first, but they soon settle into a routine that even when Hermann finally gets a new cane, they find hard to break."
- In the Hour After Zero by Amuly, In the case of Drs Newton Geiszler and Hermann Gottleib, "bickering like an old married couple" was actually a fairly literal description of them. After all, they had started dating one year after Newt came aboard the PPDC, then married two years after that. So maybe the "old" part of "old married couple" wasn't perfectly accurate, but it was really just technicalities at that point.
- Spiral Down, Come Together by Pookaseraph, The highs and lows of Hermann Gottlieb's life, through a decade with the Jaeger Program, through his life with Newton Geiszler, through mistaken impressions and almost-missed chances, until they finally reach their future.
- Disability in Pacific Rim: Let the Outcasts In by ladylurknomoar
- The Man Who Was Not His Walking Stick
Archives & Fannish Links
Links and other resources
- Hermann Gottlieb page on the Pacific Rim Wiki
- Hermann Gottlieb (Uprising) page on the Pacific Rim Wiki