H/D Fan Fair
|Name:||H/D Fan Fair (hd_fan_fair)|
|Date(s):||2009 - present|
|Founder:||marguerite_26, vaysh, jamie2109, & romaine24|
|Associated Community:||hd_fan_fair on LiveJournal, hd_fan_fair on Dreamwidth and hd-fan-fair on Tumblr|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
H/D Fan Fair is a Harry/Draco fest, thus all stories and works of art must have Harry/Draco as the primary romantic/erotic pairing. Pre-slash should be marked clearly in the header information. Their relationship doesn't have to be the primary focus of the story/art, but it is important that both Harry and Draco, and the theme of the year, play an important role in the story/art.
The Fair typically run annually from June (Prompting Stage) till November (Fest Reveals).
- Stories should have a minimum of 1500 words.
- All work should be a stand-alone and MUST not be part of another series or a sequel.
- All submissions must be beta-read and free of spelling mistakes. Please include the name(s) of the beta(s) in the story header. A header template will be provided before the submission deadline.
- All submissions will be checked before posting for faulty html and SPaG. If necessary, the mods or proofers will make general spelling, canon spelling, tag changes and minor grammatical corrections.
- Art should be a stand-alone piece, but can be in the form of a comic, a fanvid or other forms of traditionally or digitally drawn works.
- The art work should be more than a quick sketch and show effort and time invested in the piece.
- Art needs to include all necessary coding and appropriate warnings.
2009 H/D Career Fair
For the Career Fair, the participants must create works featuring Harry and Draco work in unusual careers.
These professions are not allowed:
- Harry: Auror, Professor, Healer, Quidditch Player
- Draco: Auror, Professor, Healer, Potions Master
All other professions are permitted in this fest, including unemployed.
2010 H/D Travel Fair
For the Travel Fair, Harry/Draco relationship doesn't have to be the primary focus of the story or art, but it is important that travel or being away from home play an important role in the story/art.
The fic or art entries can be either about the journey or take place at the destination, or a combination of each. The destination can be inside of Britain, or in a foreign country, even in space or in a different time or universe.
Here is a list of destination/locations that do not qualify for this fair (unless time travel or universe travel was involved):
- Harry or Draco's canon 'homes' (including: The Burrow, Grimmauld Place, Godric's Hollow, and Malfoy Manor)
- Hogwarts (including Hogsmeade)
- London (including Diagon Alley and the Ministry of Magic)
2012 H/D Career Fair
This Career Fair followed the rules of the inaugural Career Fair.
2013 H/D Book Fair
The books mentioned in Harry Potter canon or in Pottermore were the theme of this H/D Fan Fair. Participants created stories, arts or podfics that were in any way inspired by one or more of the over 100 books from HP canon. This could mean that a story, a situation, a character, a spell, a potion, and/or an item featured in one of the books had a vital role in the story/art. It could also mean that one of the books made an appearance in the story/art.
- Fic, Art and Podfic Masterlist
- Book Covers Masterlist: Book Covers for HP canon books were specifically created for H/D Book Fair to illustrate the entries.
2014 H/D Career Fair
This Career Fair followed the rules of the inaugural Career Fair.
2015 H/D Pottermore Fair
For H/D Pottermore Fair, the participants must come up with prompts, write stories and create arts that are in any way inspired by one (or more) of the new information on Pottermore. A Masterlist of numbered Pottermore entries, with links to LJ and other sources was provided for inspiration. When prompting, each prompt needs to list the number of one Pottermore Masterlist entry that inspired the prompt. "Inspired by Pottermore" can mean that a character detail, a certain back story or a future snippet has a vital role in the story/art. Prompts/submissions may be inspired by the history of a particular place, by the characteristics of a piece of magic or by the nature of a magical creature that JKR has expanded on over on Pottermore.
Pottermore is a jumping-off point for the H/D Pottermore Fair. This doesn't mean that fanworks are *required* to be 100% compatible with Pottermore canon or book canon.
2016 H/D Pet Fair
In the spirit of the 2016 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movies, the Pet Fair was geared towards fics and artworks inspired by any animal, or animal-shaped being and form in the HP universe.
Participants were asked to come up with prompts, write stories and create artworks that are in inspired by:
- any kind of animal – magical or non-magical. The animal does not necessarily have to be a pet;
- an animal-shaped magical creature – werewolves, dragons, phoenixes, but not vampires;
- the Patronus form of Harry, Draco or any of the other HP characters;
- the Animagus form of Harry, Draco or any of the other HP characters.
2017 H/D Career Fair
This Career Fair followed the rules of the inaugural Career Fair, with two additional restrictions for Unspeakable Draco and Curse Breaker Harry.
2018 H/D Food Fair
The participants of the Food Fair must come up with prompts, write stories, create artworks and read podfics that feature:
- any food of any kind – muggle or wizarding e.g. spotted dick, bouillabaisse, chocolate frogs, Japanese or Greek cuisine
- any food-related occupation - e.g. baker, food taster, professional food forager
- any food-related tropes - e.g. coffee shop AU, restaurant rivals, celebrity chef/competition
This means that the entries must feature food, or some aspect of it, as the key component.
The Food Fair Cup was introduced to encourage community interaction and fanwork comments. Readers and viewers can answer a quiz to get sorted into one of four teams, Cauldron Cakes, Pumpkin Pasties, Skiving Snackboxes, and Treacle Tarts. To gain points for their teams, participants can leave comments on story or art entries, rec entries, create team anthems, and be one of the top three Guessing Poll winners.
In the end, the The Food Fair Teams have a total of 81 participants, which includes beta readers, writers, artists and mods of the fair. They left a total of 1250 comments.
- H/D Food Fair 2018 Fanwork Masterlist
- H/D Food Fair 2018 Entries Statistics & Food Tropes
- Food Fair Cup Results
2019 H/D Fan Fair
The participants of the Fan Fair must come up with with prompts, write stories, create artworks and read podfics that feature creative occupations – muggle or wizarding - paired with ONE of the themes below that we have explored in our past years (except for Food Fair)!
- Travel Fair – travelling around the world, travelling through time or travelling to an alternate universe!
- Pet Fair – any kind of animal, animal-shaped magical creatures, Patronus animal forms, or animagus forms!
- Book Fair – be inspired by any of the over 100 books mentioned in HP canon!
- Pottermore Fair – be inspired by any of the information on the old Pottermore website!
The only career exceptions for this fair are: Aurors, Bakers, Chef/Cooks, and Diner/Restaurant-owners!
A Career + Travel example would be:
- Draco is a Fragrance Magiochemist who develops scents for magical perfumes. He travels to East Indies to find more sperm whale ambergris, a rare and expensive ingredient in perfumes. Guess who is the local whale conservation volunteer who Draco keeps running into?
- H/D Fan Fair 2019 Fanwork Masterlist
- H/D Fan Fair 2019 Entries Statistics & Career Tropes
- Fan Fair Cup Results
2020 H/D Sex Fair
The participants of the Sex Fair must create prompts, write stories, create artworks and read podfics that feature:
- sexuality and sexual orientation - e.g. mating rituals or sex cultures of Wizarding world, kinks or sexual practices, virginity, coming out, bisexuality, asexuality, discovering sexual preferences
- any sex-related occupation - e.g. sex education professor at Hogwarts, escort or rentboy, sexual health medical specialist, sex toy designer
- any sex-related tropes - e.g. Alpha/Beta/Omega universe, BDSM AU, aphrodisiac or sex pollen made them do it, friends with benefits
All entries must feature sex-related themes as the key component. Entries do not have to be smutty or have an R/NC-17 rating to be accepted.
- H/D Sex Fair 2020 Fanwork Masterlist
- H/D Sex Fair 2020 Entries Statistics & Sex Tropes
- Sex Fair Cup Results
2021 H/D Career Fair
This Career Fair followed the rules of the inaugural Career Fair, with two additional restrictions for Sex-Related Careers.
- H/D Career Fair 2021 Fanwork Masterlist
- H/D Sex Fair 2020 Entries Statistics & Career Tropes
- [Sex Fair Cup Results]