|Dates:||April 1-3, 1988|
|Focus:||Science Fiction, Star Trek, films|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
This weekend at the Sheraton-Universal Hotel, one can become immersed in the great family of Trekkers who are celebrating all-things "Star Trek." The event is Equicon '88, a science-fiction media convention that opened Friday and continues today and Sunday.
Fans will revel in the continuation of a 21-year dynasty with special guests Walter Koenig (a.k.a. Pavel Chekov), from the original "Star Trek" TV series (who will sign his new book, "Buck Alice and the Actor Robot," today), as well as at least nine members of the production crew from the new TV series, "Star Trek: The Next Generation." Included among the "Next Generation" guests is executive producer Robert H. Justman, who will screen a heretofore unseen gag reel from the new series. Some folks will believe they're in Trek heaven.
There will be a galaxy of other events: film presentations, including a separate showing of three serial cliff hangers, a costume contest, a charity auction and raffle, the proceeds to go to the Motion Picture & Television Fund, the Kay Johnson Chemotherapy Fund and the Justin Welles Greenberg Trust.Panel discussions are scheduled today and Sunday, the most outrageous being a horror makeup demonstration by Mike Le Vitre and Mike Dizacomo, starting at 10 a.m. today and scheduled to run three hours. 
1988: Video Footage
- Audio clip by a local TV show host (Fright Night) talking about Equicon 1973
- Video Footage from the 1974 convention
- 1975 fan created TV commercial for the 1975 convention. The Youtube commentary notes: "The members of S.T.A.R. San Diego ran Equicon 75 at the El Cortez Hotel, with most of the STAR TREK cast attending as guests. The "Captain" in the ad is now-famous science fiction author Greg Bear. (We knew him when!) Yes, it's blurry. (Sorry.) It's been pieced back together from a 34-year-old silent 8mm film, converted to vhs, then to dvd (with the sound dubbed back in from an ancient cassette tape), then converted again to an mp4 file!"
- Selected short clips of costumes and presentations from the DVD for Equicon '86
- Selected bits from the Equicon '87 Science Fiction and Fantasy Masquerade.
- Equicon 1988 Costume Presentation, Video by Mark Merlino.
- Equicon 1988 Little Shop of Horrors show, Video by Mark Merlino.
- ^ A Galaxy of Trekkie Events at Convention by Sue Martin of the Los Angeles Times dated April 2, 1988.