Don't Like, Don't Read
|See also:||Disclaimer, IDIC, Your fandom's ok, my fandom's ok, Ship and Let Ship, Your Kink Is Not My Kink|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Originally, it was used as a disclaimer warning in the header of fiction that portrayed a same sex relationship (usually slash). This sense is older and not widely used in most fandoms anymore, though it survives in some corners.
To the amusement/bemusement of some older fen, the term seems to be in use again as of 2016, either in its original sense or to try and avoid other complaints, such as objections about a fic's cast, ship, tropes or kinks, lack of beta, or about unpopular opinions in blog posts. In that sense, it is a synonym of Ship and Let Ship.
Some Examples of Use
- "[I remember] really aggressive disclaimers on slash fic (GAY STUFF IF YOU DON’T LIKE DON’T READ etc), and a general terror of homophobia. So many people were genuinely frightened of what would happen if their story about Trowa and Quatre kissing got into the “wrong” hands that it seems unimaginable now." 
- "Also pairing wars could be a whole new ball game - if the mod didn’t like your pairing or thought it was Not Safe For Kids because it was gay, they would ban you. That’s what eventually [led] to the Don’t Like Don’t Read disclaimers, and later, endless arguments about warnings. (One thing I will never miss [from the past]: the people who thought queers should warn for all slash content, but noncanon het pairings were aokay.)" 
- "Man, I just remember songfic and FFNet’s ‘Don’t Like, Don’t Read’ messages. And getting into LJ culture as a bebe!fan just as LJ was dying." 
- "Reblog if You Think No One Has The Right To Be The Fandom Police #Don't Shit On Other Fans, #Ship and Let Ship, #Don't Like Don't Read, #Your Kink Is Not My Kink, #There Are No Fandom Police"
- "#incoherent rant, #opinion tag, #sorry the guy just drives me crazy, #in the words of an ancient fanfiction proverb, #don't like don't read"
- "With a side of Eleanor (don't like, don't read)"
- "Creator Chose Not To Use Archive Warnings, Fang (BoBoiBoy), BoBoiBoy - Character, alternatif reality, based on ep 23 part 3, Friendship, Angst, kinda OOC, DLDR"
- "No Archive Warnings Apply, Harry Styles/Louis Tomlinson, [...] Infantilism, Non-Sexual Age Play, forced age play, Forced infantilism, Diapers, bottles, More tags added soon, dont like dont read"
- On the Virtual Wrestling board on wrestlingclassics.com (home of WCFL), there was a so-called promoter known as Jason Ray Hough who posted several shows of his TXCW promotion, all of which were riddled with horrible spelling (often mangling words and names and starting every word with a capital letter), grammar and sentence structure, with no properly explained storylines and nothing which properly resembled a wrestling promotion. His concept was mixing the legends of the past with the stars of today, even including wrestlers who are actually dead, as well as using fictitious wrestlers and venues. On January 4, 2011, he announced a TV taping. The negative responses he received led to this response, which summed up much of what was wrong with his work.
Lister Here I Am New Here If You Got A Problem And Dont Look At TXCW Results I Am Get Sick And Tried I Am Try My Best On My Spelling And Grammar If You Dont Like And Dont Look At It I Am Get So Tried Of This I Got Another Problem That Is From You Old School Wrasslin, And Anybody Else Ok I Am Working On Buliding Storyline To Make TXCW Total Xtreme Championship Wrestling Will Not Like WCFL Or Anybody Else TXCW Like WWE Meet TNA And NWA Legends Ok If You Dont Like And Dont Look At Ok I Try Make A Point Here You People Judge Me And Promotions Go And Pick On Somebody Else Ok
- Don't Like Don't Read Tv Tropes page
- Don't like don't read Tumblr tag.
- Don't Like Don't Read AO3 tag & its related forms: 320 works as of May 5, 2016.
- also wattpad has 100% become the new http://ff.net : copy/paste bios, 'don't like don't read', etc. it's incredible. Tweet by @roxychaun, May 4, 2016.
- me: well there's at least a few good kpop fics out there me: *remembers kpop fans still write "boy x boy don't like don't read" me: nevermi Tweet by @battalioned, Apr 23, 2016.
- just saw a fic, in the year 2016, whose summary contained "don't like, don't read" Tweet by @musicspeakstoo, May 4, 2016.
- a Tumblr comment by alittlethor, January 26, 2015
- a Tumblr comment by buckyballbearing, January 25, 2015
- a Tumblr comment by gen-is-gone, January 25, 2015
- Tumblr post by alkenifanfiction, April 10, 2016
- On the subject of aou, feminism, and why I’ve got a problem with Joss Whedon. Tumblr post by the-movie-that-was-never-made, June 23, 2015.
- Don't Forget (Larry Mpreg) by bae_1D_directioner, WIP posted to Wattpad, updated Jul 16, 2015.
- duìbùqǐ by Arisa_Morishita, posted to AO3 Apr 22, 2016.
- This is your fate by iLouisLube, posted to AO3 Dec 3, 2015.
- This Friday Night TXCW Presenet TXCW TV On Mav TV Taping,
- again if you don't like it then don't read, don't like don't read, DL;DR, DLDR, Do NOT damn read it if you don't like it, Do not read if you don't like it, Don't like, don't like don't read simple as that, Don't like it then leave, Don't like it?, don't like it? don't read, don't like then don't read, Don't like then Please don't read, Don't like. Don't read., Don't Like; Don't Read, Don't like|Don't read, Don't read, don't read if that bothers you, Don't read if you are sensitive, Don't read if you don't like, Don't read if you don't like it, Don't Read if you Don't like., Don't read if you're easily offended, don't read it if you don't like it, dont liek dont read, dont like dont read, Dont like dont read...unless you really want to, dont want dont read [...]