Ditties from the Edge of the World
|Album Title:||Ditties from the Edge of the World|
|External Links:||listed here; Youtube)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Special thanks to Sue Walker "whose original ideas inspired Summer-time Kinght and Anna's Song." All songs sung by Linda Short.
- Bound for Cygnus by Trad / Linda Short
- Queen of Seasons by Maria Przeslawska
- Trooper Grey by Linda Short
- Summer-time Knight by Linda Short, inspired by Sue Walker
- Anti-hero's Lament by Val Douglas
- Kerril and Son by Linda Short
- B7 in Brief by ?
- Star of the Delta Grade by Trad / Linda Short
- Lily of Sarran by Maria Przeslawska
- Mistress of the Universe by Jean Sheward
- Anna'a Song by Linda Short, inspired by Sue Walker
- Retribution by Carol West
- Drink up thy Soma by Trad / Linda Short
Reactions and Reviews
"Linda Short’s first album, “Songs Of The Seven”, was all original music, but people complained because they couldn’t just sing them with the words, so she did another, “Ditties From the Edge of The World,” with existing tunes for her original words. There’s something very special - magical! - about sitting around late at night during a con, singing songs related to your passion, some about novels you’ve read, others about novels you might then decide to read as a result."
- Anti-Hero’s Lament (sung in a mild Cockney or strong Londish)
- I’m only a poor Anti-Hero
- In a Space Opera on BBC
- You may think it looks thrilling
- When blood I am spilling
- But you ought to try it & see!
- I has to wear clothes that look macho
- Just to make my tough image complete
- But the leather feels lumpy,
- The studs are all bumpy
- & the boots are KILLING me feet!
- My crew don’t invite me to party
- ‘Cause they says I’m a killjoy & bore
- & the girls I admire
- Get shot & expire
- So I don’t chat ‘em up anymore.
- I ain’t got no friends, ‘cause I kills them.
- Well, I has to, before they kills me.
- I look vicious & snigger
- As I pull the trigger
- Then I goes back alone to me bunk, & me tea.
- So I think, as I sit in me cabin,
- Of the good times to come- Do I? Heck!
- As a cynic I know
- I will end the last show
- W/ me brains splattered over the deck.
- & when the last series is cancelled
- ‘Cause the Beeb doesn’t want us no more
- I’m going to aspire to
- A place to retire to
- With roses & things ‘round the door
- So I sit on me own in me cabin
- Writing poems, & trying to get me lines to scan
- If I was in another progr-(I)-am
- I know that I could show I am
- A really kind hearted & loveable man.
- So pity the poor Anti-Hero
- The next time he appears on your screen
- His poor heart is breaking
- His feet they are aching!
- No wonder the poor sod looks mean!
B7 In Brief (sung to the tune of M. Witmark and Sons' The Teddy Bear's Picnic) (excerpt)
- If you go out in the woods today
- You'd better not go alone
- Don't go out in the woods today
- It's safer to stay at home.
- Each mortal man that ever there was
- Today is in great danger because
- T'day's the day the Decimas 'ave their picnic.
- Picnic time for Decimas
- The little Decimas were 'aving a lovely time today
- Until they became aware
- Of someone's intentions with deadly rays.
- Now see them start to shriek and shout
- They love to kick about a couple of heads or two
- I hope that when it's time to go
- That you'll take your bloody rubbish oh
- Nice little Decimas.