|Date(s):||27 June 2000|
|Fandom:||Star Wars: The Phantom Menace|
|External Links:||Cutwork (Master & Apprentice)|
Cutwork (Rachael Sabotini's House O'Fanfic)
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Summary: Some missions require specialized skills.
Recs and Reviews
Oh my fucking god. I say this because normally I'm not at all into heavy kink. [On the sexuality flavour spectrum, I'm maybe strawberry.] However, there's just something about this story that makes me reread it over and over again. After a couple (hundred!) of rereads it hit me: there is more going on in the story here than just kinky sex. [Incredibly hot kinky sex, yeah.] There's intrigue and undercover work and angst -- and it's all set up so subtly that it's easy to miss the first time in the intensity of the character's emotions. [...]
Within [the first] few short paragraphs Rachel has already established:
- 1. That Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are lovers.
- 2. That Obi-Wan is a Jedi in his own right.
- 3. That they are on an undercover mission.
- 4. That their mission is to pass on false information.
- 5. That there is a rebellion going on, lead by the regent's sister.
- 6. That Obi-Wan has to torture Qui-Gon to give authenticity to the information.
- 7. That both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon will get pleasure out of said 'torture'.
Whew! And the details and plot twists keep on coming.
Aside from the intrigue the emotional intensity is almost overwhelming. The story is from Obi-Wan's POV and we see him run through the gamut of lust, fear (of discovery, of losing control, of failing Qui-Gon), rage (at the council for sending them on this mission in the first place), and intoxicating happiness (at being able to leave behind the Code for the duration of this scene). It is a heady mixture, one which lets the reader not only feel but understand some of what Obi-Wan experiences.
I especially like the role reversal. Obi-Wan is the master so to speak: this part of the mission is his responsibility. Then, when they return to their ship, Qui-Gon takes on the master role briefly in helping Obi-Wan start to deal with the after effects of the strain, but he is too weak to do so for more than a few minutes. Obi-Wan takes over again as leader of the mission, yet acknowledges that Qui-Gon will always be his master.
I realise that many people will be squicked by the subject matter. For those who are not, I say read this.
My favourite quote:
- I let my eyes dwell on his chest and his cock. There are how things seem, and how things are. The conspirators will see what they expect, a man tortured to give up his information -- while Qui-Gon and I make love.
- Your perception determines your reality, or so the saying goes.
A tapestry of pleasure and pain. (30 k)
This is an unusual story, with a power dynamic very unlike either the classic "I must pretend to hurt you in front of the enemy" story *or* a classic bdsm scenario. Emotionally very clever and a little bloody, Cutwork, by Rachael Sabotini, isn't for everyone, but it's very, *very* good.
Hot off the Sabotini presses, an intense exploration of the boundaries (bonds?) and extremes of Jedi eroticism. Cutwork is a breathtaking piece of writing. Don't miss it.
- capra_maritimus in tpm_flashback. Cutwork by Rachel Sabotini, 06 August 2004. (Accessed 17 April 2015)
- Trinityslash: Recs. (Accessed 21 April 2015)
- Sandy Herrold. All Jewels Have Flaws: Older recs: 2000. (Accessed 23 April 2015)
- Rosa's Recs. Fandom du Jour, via Wayback: 05 March 2001. (Accessed 25 November 2015)