|Date:||March 2005 (remastered October 2008)|
|Music:||'Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drums', A Perfect Circle|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Counting Bodies is an Angel fanvid by Milly. It was reviewed by alchemise on October 11, 2009 at the vid commentary LJ community. In addition, the vidder provided extended vid commentary. The vid has also been recommended at crack_van and the buffyversetop5 LJ communities.
- Don't fret precious I'm here
- Step away from the window
- Go back to sleep
- "I was absolutely floored by this vid the first time I saw it. The effects, the cutting, the complexity of the story were doing something together that I hadn't seen before in a vid....For me, this vid is all about the control of Connor: who's making decisions for him, all the different directions he's pulled in, and his (failed) attempts to break free. Connor has so little control over his own life that before he's even born he's got a whole slew of prophesies and external figures determining his existence and fate." ~ feedback at the vid commentary review.
- "his is utterly fantastic. Just....insanely fantastic. I too was not fond of the Connor storyline either, but your video has gifted me with another way to see it. Your narrative here is just wonderful, I love how you used Cordelia in this new version.....and from a visual standpoint...wow seems to be the only word my brain can come up with. The strong punch of the black and white is beyond fitting and I absolutely adore the splashes of color throughout...and the blood... blood on the wall...blood on the blanket. As you said, perfect for a vid about family." ~ feedback at the vid announcement.
- "I agree with many others on the fact that the original was an amazing marker in ATS vidding history. I remember during my amateur days I would just search for inspirational pieces and now I can honestly say your videos are some of my very favorites because they bring me back to that time. The edgy out of control feeling you've created for the viewer is amazing and at the same time the flow and narrative is equally calming. Your editing style has always interested me in that way because flow is something I've always had a lot of trouble with." ~ feedback at the vid announcement.
- "This vid got a lot of attention (at least in the little corner of Angel fandom I inhabit) when it was first posted but I hope those of you who haven't seen it will check it out. I still have this one saved on my hard drive and watch it regularly because it's JUST. THAT. GOOD. The use of color alone! My dear sweet lord. Color and lack thereof play a major role in what makes this vid so evocative. There are vids that just WORK. They just Do It. The song is perfectly chosen. The clips are perfectly attune with the rhythms in the music and lyrics. The choices are just so visceral and beautifully realized that you find yourself *blink*ing and *flail*ing like you've never seen those scenes before. Yeah. This vid's like that." ~ feedback at the crack_van rec.
- "I find this hard to watch as it is an unflinching look at Connor from beginning (pre-birth even) to when his memories reappear. But it is wonderfully done and, to me, the fact that it’s not an easy view means it succeeded in showing how Connor’s life was nasty, brutish and very nearly short." ~feedback at the buffyversetop5 rec.