Choose Your Own Adventure
|Trope · Genre|
|Related:||Self-Insertion, 7 Minutes of Heaven|
|Tropes · Slash Tropes · Tropes by Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Choose Your Own Adventure (CYOA) is a style of story where the reader can "choose" the path the story takes. Many readers are probably familiar with this style of storytelling from the related genre of literature such as Goosebumps' "Give Yourself Goosebumps" spin-off or Ballantine Books' "Find Your Fate" series. The format was extremely popular on Quizilla where the quiz format made it easy to set up branching paths for readers to follow, but is also in use on AO3 as well as Wattpad. Stories in this format have been banned at FanFiction.Net since 2005[note 1] but the rule is not strictly enforced and CYOA stories can still be found on the site.
- My Kingdom for a Heart, a J2 fic written for Supernatural and J-Squared Big Bang Challenge!
- Choose your own Naruto Adventure, a Naruto fic that was formerly posted on Quizilla
- Monstertrapped, a Homestuck fic with many possible endings
- Sapphires, a BTS fic
- Choices: The Devil His Due (Quantum Leap)
- Choices: Castle Ruideg (Garrison's Gorrillas)
- Margaret's Clock (Beauty and the Beast)
I remember there being some choose-your-adventure type fics half in quiz format, then when you finished the quiz they'd link back to a fic on the site. Usually either you or the character was a vampire, I think?
Yeah sex is cool, but have you ever spent an afternoon reading through a kinky lesbian cyoa monster-girl fic posted on hypnohub out of morbid curiosity?
can the russos just release all deleted scenes so we can redo endgame like a choose-your-own-adventure book
Notes and References
- Do you remember Quzilla? Posted 27 Sept 2018. Accessed 14 June 2020.
- "Choose Your Own Adventure" tag on AO3. Accessed 14 June 2020.
- "CYOA" tag on Wattpad. Accessed 14 June 2020.
- The three generations of fanfic. Posted 16 July 2015.
- Tweet from @HeckoManiac. Posted 3 Jan 2019. Accessed 14 June 2020.
- Tumblr Post from littlemissartsy. Posted 31 May 2019. Accessed 14 June 2020.