Bloom Into You
|Name:||Bloom Into You|
|Date(s):||April 27, 2015 – September 27, 2019|
|Country of Origin:||Japan|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Bloom Into You (Japanese: やがて君になる, Yagate Kimi ni Naru, "YagaKimi" for short) is a yuri manga and anime series. The manga series also spawned two official manga anthologies, a trilogy of light novels surrounding, popular character, Sayaka Saeki written by Hitoma Iruma who is notable for writing the widely popular Adachi and Shimamura yuri light novel series, as well as two stage plays. The first play adapting the original manga's story and ran in Japan during May of 2019 while the second play adapted the Regarding Saeki Sayaka light novels which ran in the months of October and November during 2020.
- Yuu has always loved shoujo manga and awaits the day she gets a love confession that sends her heart aflutter with bubbles and hearts, and yet when a junior high classmate confesses his feelings to her…she feels nothing. Disappointed and confused, Yuu enters high school still unsure how to respond. That’s when Yuu sees the beautiful student council president Nanami turn down a suitor with such maturity that she’s inspired to ask her for help. But when the next person to confess to Yuu is Nanami herself, she soon finds herself on a journey to feel this strange emotion for the first time. 
- Yuu Koito
- Touko Nanami
- Sayaka Saeki
- Seiji Maki
- Suguru Doujima
- Koyomi Kanou
- Akari Hyuuga
- Riko Hakozaki
- Miyako Kodama
- Rei Koito
- Tomoyuki Ichigaya
Bloom Into You became a quickly, widely popular yuri series with many praising the manga for its beautiful art, well-written romance, and a great cast of characters. The huge success of the series, and some claims of the series being revolutionary or ground-breaking for the genre, has led to some criticism of the manga for adhering too closely to many of the common tropes established in the yuri genre.
Bloom Into You is widely consumed, praised, and beloved. While I advocate for acknowledging this series as an exhilarating but flawed and often unoriginal work that challenges some tropes while reinforcing others, that does not mean one cannot enjoy it. Media does not need to be flawless or revolutionary to have a profound effect on its audience. I can stand on my soapbox all day and explain how it widely uses genre standard characters and plots, but that does not negate that Bloom Into You helped someone get through a hard time, or exposed them to new ideas, or led to someone exploring and accepting their identity. In fact, I adore this series, for no reason less than that it attracted new fans and attention to the messy and complicated yuri genre that I so deeply love.
Nicki “YuriMother” Bauman, 9/23/2020 (How Bloom Into You Defies and Reinforces Yuri Tropes)
The fandom is nearly entirely dominated by femslash, as is expected from a yuri series, and the most prominent pairing is expectedly the canonical romance of the main series, Koito Yuu/Nanami Touko. Other common pairings include Koito Yuu/Saeki Sayaka and Nanami Touko/Saeki Sayaka. The final chapter of Bloom Into You established that Sayaka has a girlfriend, Haru, who is explored further in the third volume of the light novel series which gave rise to the pairing of Edamoto Haru/Saeki Sayaka. Hakozaki Riko/Kodama Miyako is also a canonical pairing in the series and is commonly used as a side pairing in fanworks where the focus is given on a more main ship between the adolescent characters.
- i want to love by skootleskittle
- Yagakimi, but dramatic this time by shinyyytrash
- YagaKimi by scanner3000
- 沙侑 まとめ by 某良
MMVs & AMVs
- Tiny Costellation by egnaro
- やがて君になる | Yagate Kimi ni Naru | Bloom Into You (Manga) at Archive of Our Own
- Bloom Into You/やがて君になる at FanFiction.Net