Before the Sun Breaks Another Day
|Title:||Before the Sun Breaks Another Day|
|Author(s):||accordingtomel & adelagia|
|Date(s):||22 August 2010 - 03 March 2011|
|Genre:||slash fanfiction, episode tag, Fix-it|
|External Links:||Before the Sun Breaks Another Day (LiveJournal)|
Before the Sun Breaks Another Day (FanFiction.Net)
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Summary: Three months after her disappearance, Morgana returns to Camelot with a hidden agenda, but she's not the only one keeping secrets, and a series of unintended revelations forces her, Merlin and Arthur on an intertwined journey of revenge, redemption and love.
The story is set after episode 2x13, the finale of series two, and basically tells the story many fans felt series three should have told. It's one of the rare Merlin novels that work with the canon created in season two while fixing later developments in satisfying ways. According to the story notes the novel is the product of over a year's worth of work, from conception to the final post, and snowballed into something a lot more massive than either of the authors initially anticipated.
Recs and Reviews
- "An amazing alternative to the third season. Merlin's behavior and appearance (looking like death warmed over, that is) in the second season actually attracts Arthur's notice, who is decidedly not oblivious. The characterization is so lovely and more complete than we usually get on the show. Also, the story features a large amount of Morgana/Leon, and some shades of Morgana/Uther." "[...] you have here a much more sympathetic Morgana than the one we received in canon. She's doing questionable things, but still has feelings and no longer acts mindlessly. Her feelings for Leon -- and his for her -- are an unexpected development for Morgana, but add a delightful additional dimension to her character. An excellent story."
- "I loved that the characters were multi-dimensional. The plot made sense, the writing was fantastic, and I loved the interactions between Arthur and Merlin as well as the moments between Merlin and Morgana. All the characters felt fleshed out and I had a hard time putting this story down once I started."
- "this is pretty much a season three rewrite! with what I feel is a much more realistic development of Morgana in some ways, compared to the S3 canon. a long and satisfying read."
- adelagia in melting_pot_inc. Before the Sun Breaks Another Day -- MASTER POST, 03 March 2011. (Accessed 16 May 2011)
- angelqueen04. Merlin/Arthur Fic Recs. (Accessed 16 May 2011)
- angelqueen04. Non-Merlin/Arthur Fic Recs. (Accessed 16 May 2011)
- amothea. DCU, Smallville, Inception, Merlin, Hawaii 5-0, Tangled, Highlander, and Marvel recs, 30 April 2011. (Accessed 16 May 2011)
- papered. it's been a year already!, 16 October 2011. (Accessed 11 November 2011)