A Bittersweet Potion
|Title:||A Bittersweet Potion (series)|
|Author(s):||Alchemia Dent and Bugland|
|Date(s):||2002 - present|
|Length:||9 books (WIP)|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
A Bittersweet Potion (often abbreviated ABP) is the name of the first book of a nine book series; the series is also known as The Bittersweet Potion Series. It is an in-progress Harry Potter fanfiction story by Alchemia and Bugland.
The first book of the series was posted in 2002, during the fandom's Three-Year Summer. In 2003, it was a finalist for "Best General Fic" in Pure Magnetism's Harry Potter Slash Awards. The most recent update was part of book six, on the 31st of December 2007. Although there has not been an update for several years, Alchemia has posted that he and Bugland are still working on it.
Portions of the series have been translated into French by Nymia, Russian by Alvina3, Finnish by Golden Snape, and Spanish by Rele.
Absinthe features throughout the series. While simply alcoholic to muggles, it is a powerful potion to wizards, the effects of which were described by Oscar Wilde:
After the first glass you see things as you wish they were. After the second glass you see things as they are not. Finally, you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world.
Books in the Series
The books in the series are titled:
- A Bittersweet Potion
- Procul His
- The River
- Rite of Passage
- Book Seven: To be Named
- Book Eight: To be Named
- Book Nine: To be Named
Fan Reactions and Reviews
There have been several fan translation of the first book, into French, Russian, Finnish and Spanish, as well as fan art created by readers . On the 19th of February, 2007, fans created abp_meta a LiveJournal community for discussion of the series.  Alchemia has said that "...While I do sometimes discuss my writing in [my personal] journal, that comm is a place for readers to discuss their interpretations. I am not offended by critique, or being asked to stay out of a discussion there. Concrit and analysis is always welcomed (that's my favourite part of reading anything, so it's flattering to have people do the same to my stuff!)". 
Other fans have been inspired to create fanart along with alchemia's artwork.
- I have had some people ask in private messages/emails about if we ever plan to finish ABP. The answer is YES. alchemia. ABP explaination, Archived version, posted to livejournal August 5, 2012.
- Bugland and I have been making quite a bit of progress with writing! alchemia. ABP, Archived version, posted to dreamwidth, Oct. 31st, 2016.
- Oscar Wilde on absinthe; quoted in "Letters to the Sphinx from Oscar Wilde: With Reminiscences of the Author" by Ada Leverson (London: Duckworth, 1930).
- Discussion of A Bittersweet Potion by Al and Bug's Journal, Archived version (Accessed 05 January 2017)
- alchemia. untitled, Archived version, posted to livejournal February 25th, 2007.
- alchemia - Profile,