|Synonyms:||bad fic, turkey, evol fic|
|See also:||crack, Godawful Fan Fiction, Lord King Bad, MST3K, sporking, turkey-ing, brain bleach|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Badfic is fanfiction that is very badly written, characterized, structured, or all of the above. It can refer to fic written badly by accident, or fic written badly on purpose for amusement, such as on the site Bad Fanfic! No Biscuit!, but is not to be confused with the Lord King Bad Fic.
One of the most infamous badfics is a bizarre "emo scene" work called My Immortal, loosely set in the Harry Potter universe. It has never been fully decided if this work, riddled as it is with bad spelling, terrible sex and catty notes from the author, was written as a deliberate attempt to troll the fandom or a serious attempt at writing a story.
Evolfic was what the HLOTS fan community called intentional badfic; the Lord King Bad of their time. Deliberately written Evolfic was gathered together into the the Evolist FanFic Archive, Evar!, The archive was run by the TwoWeevils.
In 2006, svmadelyn's Smallville and Stargate Atlantis Badfic Summary Mini-Ficathon had fic writers first submit badfic-style summaries of as-yet-unwritten fic, and then quickly write fic (excerpts) for each other's summaries. The challenge generated many fandom (at least on the SGA side) classics in both the deliberate badfic   and "well written fic from loltastic summary" genres. 
cupidsbow's 8 ways not to write a fanfic (2007) and sequel With 6 You Get Unicorns (2008) deconstruct badfic and are also meta reflections on the genre. Among other things, the stories parody badfic formatting and flashback indicators, OOC behavior, songfic, Trinity, extreme woobieism, badsex, Mary Sues, were-unicorn issues, and end with an unforgettable reference to My Little Pony.
Comments from writers of deliberate badfic:
Connotations has had a yearly badfic panel for a while, at which examples are discussed of amusing mistakes made in fic, cracky fic, and other types of bad!fic. In 2010 it had illustrations of spelling mistakes, such as "furry was written across his face" and a "rouge angle" (presumably intended to be a rogue angel).
While many fans have wondered over the year what makes badfic so attractive to some readers, so far only one fan has attempted to offer a unifying theory for the phenomena: alexfandra's satirical Standby Theories for the Inexplicable Poor Taste of Fans.
- Evolist FanFic Archive
- Could use ref examples from the Smallville submissions from someone familiar with those?
- And Thanks For All The Fish by iamtheenemy, SGA. Fanfiction.net fic-type spoof in which John is a were-dolphin.
- Still the One by devildoll, SGA. Genderswap, unicorn-saving, non-con, and songfic all in one.
- 101 Uses for Spellcheck by someinstant, SGA. Metafic about badfic.
- Under the Sea by astolat, SGA. College AU.
- An Aesthetic Solitary Thing by eliade, SGA. Rodney is an alien with pon farr issues.
- A day after posting "Love Fools", noorie felt she should add an explanation of how the story came to be written. This was posted as "WTF?! explained" (accessed 12 August 2011).