|Pairing:||Nico di Angelo/Will Solace|
|Gender category:||Slash, M/M|
|Fandom:||Heroes of Olympus|
|Archives:||Nico di Angelo/Will Solace|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
In Trials of Apollo: The Hidden Oracle, it is stated that the two of them are dating, when Will called Nico his boyfriend.
Before Blood of Olympus, Nico and Will did not interact in canon. Nico had only been confirmed as gay since House of Hades, and Blood of Olympus hinted strongly that the two of them were attracted to each other, but they did not get together (i.e. Will took Nico's hand at one point, it send an "electric current down Nico's spine," "skeletal butterflies" in Nico's stomach, Will caring for Nico in the infirmary).
In their next appearance in Trials of Apollo: The Hidden Oracle, they are in a relationship. At one point, Will refers to Nico as his boyfriend, though Nico seems to be uncomfortable with Will advertising it to everyone. They continue to bicker, but canon implies it is their way of flirting and showing their affection, and the narrator commented on feeling jealous of their relationship, how they were "supporting each other."
It gained popularity after the last book in the Heroes of Olympus series, The Blood of Olympus, when Nico gets over his crush on Percy. Prior to this installment in the series, Nico had been commonly shipped with other main characters. Some people still ship Percico, Valdangelo, and other het and gay pairings that include Nico, but Solangelo has become the second most popular pairing in this fandom based on works currently on Ao3.
Some fans disliked their canon relationship as it felt too rushed with much of the relationship developing off-page. Other fans were unconcerned by this and wrote fanfiction that filled in the blanks.
Common Tropes & Storylines
Solangelo fic tends towards fluff perhaps more than other ships for Nico, likely because of the character's banter and canonical basis.
- Works set after HoO often use Nico's three day stay at the infirmary as a jumping off point. See Three days in the Infirmary works on Ao3
- College AUs are common. Some of these works are also all human AUs, while others imagine the demigods attending the same school.
- Those walls I built didn't even put up a fight by sazandorable, "Is it morally okay to stab a medic with their own scissors?" Nico asked Cecil. (A three days in the infirmary fic)
- Sunshine & Shadow by DoveTheSkyWing "A collection of Solangelo oneshots" (Well...a collection of Solangelo oneshots)
- Rental Love by Rosyredlipstick "Male/22/Long Island N.Y.C. Tired of showing up stag at holiday events?" (Human AU with pretend relationship)
- Across the Hall by orphan_account "A sunny boy moves in across the hall from Katie Gardner. She gets a little nosy as he and the scowling boy next door collide paths again and again." (Human AU, they are neighbours)
- fuck you (and fuck me, too) by Significant_What "`What did you do?´ ´Who says I did anything?´ Jason just gives him a look, and Nico can’t really hide it anyway, so he shrugs and smiles cruelly. `I may have filled his locker with pink confetti.´" (High School AU, Class Reuinion)
- Of Lame Boyfriends and Hypothetical Cats by nikkiRA "`We should get a cat.´" (At Camp Half-Blood)
- The Quiz and it´s sequel A Place in the Sun by sentimentalscribe "`You’re just…´ Will smiled and shrugged. `I dunno.´ Nico looked up. `What?´ You’re just really cute, Will thought.`It’s nothing,´ he said. (The criminally fluffy/completed/novel-length high school AU you didn't know you needed! Have fun!)"