Hi Kingstoken, welcome to Fanlore! Thank you for all your contributions to the Walking Dead pages - they are much needed and much appreciated :) If you have questions about anything, you can leave a message on any Talk page, or feel free to reach out to the Fanlore Gardeners using the contact form. I hope to continue to see you around! --sparc 21:43, 10 September 2017 (UTC)
IFD 2018 Fanlore Challenge
Congrats, Kingstoken! You've completed Day 1 of the IFD 2018 Fanlore Challenge by adding an intro to your user page! Great work - here's your badge :D To find out how to display it on your user page, check out these instructions: How can I display my badges on Fanlore?
Congrats, Kingstoken! By adding some meta to a fandom page, you've completed Day 2 of the IFD 2018 Fanlore Challenge! Here's your badge!
Congratulations, Kingstoken! By adding tropes and recs to a ship page today, you've completed Day 3 of the IFD 2018 Fanlore Challenge. Complete our Day 4 editing challenge tomorrow to get another badge \o/ --PriscillaD (talk) 03:04, 15 February 2018 (UTC)
Congratulations, Kingstoken! By adding a classic work to our Fandom Classics page, you've completed Day 4 of the IFD 2018 Fanlore Challenge - and by adding a fanwork example to a trope page (as well as making a whole new page!) you've completed Day 5 of the challenge. Great work - here are your badges!
Congrats, Kingstoken! By creating a new character page (nice work!) and adding some more details to an unloved page, you've completed Days 6 and 7 of the IFD 2018 Fanlore Challenge. Here are your badges!
An extra big congratulations for completing every single day of the Fanlore Challenge! We've really enjoyed your edits and we hope you had fun taking part! Thanks for all the great work :D --enchantedsleeper (talk) 22:24, 19 February 2018 (UTC)
Is there a policy/style guide which explains what constitutes a “canon” ship for the purposes of this wiki? I’ve poked around and I haven’t been able to find one. I know I’ve seen inputs in the “canonical?” field in ship infoboxes that didn’t follow a strict “yes”/“no” binary. Things like “partially canon” or “unrequited.” Unfortunately, I can’t remember them off-hand. Long-time reader, first-time editor. Night Rain (talk) 00:51, 21 February 2018 (UTC)
- Hi, I don't think that there is any guide on Fanlore itself. I am basing my edits on my understanding of the definitions of canon, which is that two characters are, or have been, in a romantic relationship in the source material. I see the purpose of the infobox as a quick introduction to the pairing for individuals who are not familiar with ship, so I think it should be as concise and factual as possible. I think if one wants to discuss the nature of the relationship it should be done within the body of the article. However, this is all my interpretation, and others might have different ideas. Anyways, we may need a third opinion, which I don't know the procedure for, maybe asking a gardener? Kingstoken (talk) 1:47, 21 February 2018 (UTC)
- "Ship," for many fans, doesn't just encompass characters being in a clear, active romantic/sexual relationship in canon. It can encompass the possibility or suggestion of those things. The little moments of UST or flirting. So, for me, a non-canon ship is one where the characters have never met, or never displayed any kind of romantic/sexual interest toward each other. Relationships don't fall into a convenient "yes"/"no" binary. Enforcing this binary is prescriptive and exclusionary from a fandom standpoint, and unhelpful and even inaccurate from an information standpoint. Ship canonicity can fall along a spectrum. The goal of the infobox shouldn't just be to provide a quick overview, but an accurate and precise one. Consider Deanna Troi/Wolf from Star Trek: The Next Generation. It happens in one episode in an alternate universe. Labelling that ship non-canon would thus be inaccurate. So, too, is labelling ships where one character canonically has unrequited feelings for the other as "non-canon," in my view. It's not providing a full and accurate picture of canonical information. Which is why I'd recommend descriptors like "semi-canon (one-sided)," "semi-canon (alternate universe)", "semi-canon (player determined)", etc. Night Rain (talk) 19:03, 21 February 2018 (UTC)
- I don't see a problem with using "descriptors like "semi-canon (one-sided)," "semi-canon (alternate universe)", "semi-canon (player determined)", etc.". What's in the info box should be brief, but adding a note there that says, "depends -- see main article" or "complicated -- see main article" should address concerns. Then, go ahead make a section in the main article for the nuances, complexities, or situations you want to explain or elaborate. Keep in mind Plural Point of View and keep it focused on fan discussion and reactions. --MPH (talk) 19:48, 21 February 2018 (UTC)
So happy to see more Backstreet Boys stuff being added! I was only involved in that fandom from 1998-2000, so I don't remember a lot and it's really hard to find the old websites now. Excited to see what else you have to add! -- Themayqueen (talk) 15:44, 11 March 2018 (UTC)
- Thank you. I didn't intend to add to this fandom (I was more of a New Kids girl myself), but when I decided to try and document old and disappearing Angelfire and Tripod websites I fell down the deep, dark hole that is Backstreet Boys fandom, and didn't look back. -- Kingstoken 15:58, 11 March 2018 (UTC)
Hi, Kingstoken! I've just sent you an email about becoming a Fanlore Gardener. It looks like our messages aren't always getting through (in both directions!) so if you haven't received it, please contact us via this form: http://www.transformativeworks.org/contact_us/ (Be sure to select "Fanlore" from the dropdown menu, and set "Fanlore Policies" or "Identity Protection" as your subject to get through to Fanlore Staff). Sorry for the inconvenience xD -- enchantedsleeper (talk) 22:37, 14 March 2018 (UTC)
- Hi, I just replied to your email. I am just interested in becoming an advanced editor right now. Kingstoken 22:47, 14 March 2018 (UTC)
Pairing Article Titles
Hi, Kingstoken, I noticed that you've been moving a lot of pairing articles to "match" the naming formats of others. Fanlore's policy is to use whichever ship name and format is popular within that fandom, and we don't worry about trying to enforce a standard pattern the way say AO3 needs to. See Help:Relationship pages and a recent discussion of this at Help talk:Relationship pages. Thanks! --sparc 18:08, 17 March 2018 (UTC)
- Okay. There were only a few articles that actually had the x instead of the /. Almost all the pairings articles had the / so I changed the x to match. I guess because I had seen so few x I assumed that / was the proper format. Thanks, for bringing it to my attention Kingstoken 20:48, 17 March 2018 (UTC)
- I moved the smooshnames and "x" names back, and I'm a bandom fan, so I moved the Bandom names back, but I don't have a strong opinion about the first name only vs. first name last name page names. IIRC, back in LJ days people mostly went with first name only ship names, but I'm not in these fandoms, so someone else should check them.--aethel (talk) 22:15, 17 March 2018 (UTC)
- FWIW, as the person doing most of the Hanson fandom editing, I don't have a problem with using surnames in those pairings. It helps easily differentiate between the incestuous and non-incestuous ones, at least, and there really isn't a standard (some are more commonly known by smush names, some aren't). Themayqueen (talk) 22:20, 17 March 2018 (UTC)
April Showers 2018
Hi, Kingstoken! Thank you so much for participating in April Showers :D I saw that you added ships to the Charmed page and fanwork links to Kirby and Panic! at the Disco, that's brilliant! Here are your badges. I hope you check out the challenges we'll have in the rest of the month! --PriscillaD (talk) 20:07, 3 April 2018 (UTC)
Hey, Kingstoken! Thanks for adding fan community links to the Kirby and Charmed pages for April Showers! You've earned yourself another shiny badge :)
Congratulations on completing the challenges for April Showers Day 6 and 7 by adding canon detail to the Charmed page, and adding fandom detail to the Game of Thrones page! Here are your lovely badges :D --enchantedsleeper (talk) 16:40, 8 April 2018 (UTC)
Hi Kingstoken, thanks for creating the page for Jamie Moriarty/Joan Watson and adding fan fiction, fan vids and fan art to it. Here is the April Showers badges for day 8 and 9 for you :). WhatAreFrogs? (talk) 20:20, 10 April 2018 (UTC)
- Hi WhatAreFrogs?, I think I am missing a couple of badges from week one of April Showers, on April 4th I added links to the Charmed and Kirby (franchise) pages and on April 5th I added Meta the Charmed page contributions, Thanks, Kingstoken 21:20, 10 April 2018 (UTC)
- Hi Kingstoken, You are absolutely right. I'm very sorry that the badges for adding Meta and tropes to the Charmed page hasn't been awarded to you yet. Here are your badges for both:
Valar dohaeris, thank you for adding Meta to the Game of Thrones article. Also thanks for adding tropes to Marcus Bell/Sherlock Holmes. I, your humble servant, can't award you the iron throne, but how about these two virtual badges instead? WhatAreFrogs? (talk) 21:50, 12 April 2018 (UTC)
Thank you for adding fan community and meta links to the Riverdale page, as well as a meta link on the Jughead Jones page! Here are your badges for Day 17 and Day 18, and I hope to see more of your edits this week. :) - Fandomgeographies (talk) 14:12, 18 April 2018 (UTC)
*appears and showers you with badges*
Thanks so much for adding fandom info, ships, fanwork links, community links and meta to the New Kids on the Block, Stranger Things and Orange is the New Black pages! Here are your badges for April Showers days 21-25! Amazing work! - enchantedsleeper (talk) 16:04, 25 April 2018 (UTC)
Thank you for adding to the canon section and fandom info sections of the Stranger Things page, and the shipping section of the Orange is the New Black page! Here are your badges for Day 27, 28, and 29 of April Showers! Somefangirl (talk) 7:38, 30 April 2018 (UTC)
Stony vs Stucky
- It is all fixed. Thank you for your help Mrs. Potato Head -- Kingstoken 22:29, 3 April 2018 (UTC)
Also thank you for putting "added categories" in the edit summary instead of "added cats"; cats is a perfectly logical abbreviation of categories, but every time I see it I think of felines and am befuddled for several seconds. Idek. Yay clarity! --Bikedancelaugheat (talk) 06:47, 30 July 2018 (UTC)
I see you've delved into the vast pit of uncategoried images, of which so many are my handiwork! As you put categories on the zine images (and others), would you put the date on them? --MPH (talk) 12:30, 26 August 2018 (UTC)
- Like put the date on the image summary? Or add like category:certain year?
Hi Kingstoken! Like everyone else I'm absolutely in awe of your industrious category contributions. However, I was wondering if I could ask you to mark your edits where you just add categories to pages as "minor" in the future. It would really help me be able to catch up on what's going on on Fanlore better when I miss a whole day or two if I could filter out small changes. - Hoopla (talk) 06:21, 3 November 2018 (UTC)
We wanted to give you a heads up that the edits recently made by "Factfinder" on The Morgans appeared to have been a case of hostile editing by someone who is a known repeat offender on Fanlore, and as a result we've acted on them by banning the user in question and reverting their edits (and one of yours in the process - apologies!).
Fanlore Gardeners are taking a look at the page and will be able to help add to it in a more coherent fashion - possibly incorporating some of the detail from the previous edits, but in a way that respects the scope and purpose of the page.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to get in touch :D
Thanks for all your hard work,